Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare 101

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I am trying to find a local daycare in my area for a reasonable price so my DS doesn't have to keep staying at my moms every week and I only get to have him on weekends. I know it's very sad but she is the only person I have to keep him right now but she stays so far out I can not drop him off and pick him up everyday and still make it to work on time or have time to do anything else after work. Soooo, I've done some calling around and found a daycare that charges only $95 a week!! YAY! I have an apt. to go by there after work today to look around and ask questions, etc.

But being a new mommy or whatever I have no clue what I should be asking, looking for, doing. lol Please any mommies experienced w/ daycares give me any advice regarding what to look for, ask, do, tips on things to do when I do send him to daycare (even if it isn't this one), what to send with him, should I have instructions or a list of request or WHATEVER!! I am just about to go crazy with the idea of someone I don't really know taking care of my baby but I really want to be able to see him everyday and at the same time be sure he gets the care and attention he needs. Thanks for any help!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
newagemom700
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:23 PM

ask about meal plans....some places only do snack, lunch, snack. Some do Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack.....

Oh, and the caregiver should go over with you what to bring, but an extra pair of clothes, and shoes. diapers/pull-ups....and for comfort reasons soemthign from home that is familiar, like a teddy, or blanket, or picture of the family.

I would ask about naps and play times, and the activities done with the children also....

peanutsmommy1
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I work for a child care resource and referral agency. To find your local agency, visit www.childcareaware.org  If you call them, they can get you a listing of licensed/registered child care providers in your area.

This is the checklist we provide to parents http://www.naccrra.org/docs/parent/38IndicatorsChecklist.pdf

Above all, trust your instincts

If you have any questions, let me know!

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM

wave

Hi,

If you'd like to find CafeMom members in your area, click on this Newcomers Club thread... Newcomers Club - Find Moms In Your Area - Click Here!.

Hope that helps!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Pita_Dragonfly
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Honestly  you   get what you pay  for.

You  might get  lucky  and  find a  great person to  watch your  most  valualbe possesion.

If your  mom   is the  best  it is it  worth moving him?

Go with your gut. Either  you will  like it or  not at that house. She needs a  contract too. If your son is sick he can't  go there.

How far does  your mom  live?

What are  you doing  afterwork  everyday? I am  trying to  get  more  of an idea of  your life.

ms-ambi
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Quoting Pita_Dragonfly:

Honestly  you   get what you pay  for.

You  might get  lucky  and  find a  great person to  watch your  most  valualbe possesion.

If your  mom   is the  best  it is it  worth moving him?

Go with your gut. Either  you will  like it or  not at that house. She needs a  contract too. If your son is sick he can't  go there.

How far does  your mom  live?

What are  you doing  afterwork  everyday? I am  trying to  get  more  of an idea of  your life.

My mom lives a good 45min to an hour from where I stay. I have to be to work at 8:30 Mon-Fri and I get off at between 5:00 and 6:00. I would have to drive all the way back out there to pick him up. Yes she does a great job but ummmm I want to see my son EVERYDAY...I'm just not a happy person going this long without seeing him. Like I said I'm going to check out the place and I will go with gut instinct of course mostly but I'm asking for help on things to look for, questions to ask, etc. I've already pretty much made up my mind that I want my son to be in a daycare rather than with my mom, simply because I want to have him with me.

CafeMom Tickers
ms-ambi
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I work for a child care resource and referral agency. To find your local agency, visit http://www.childcareaware.org/  If you call them, they can get you a listing of licensed/registered child care providers in your area.

This is the checklist we provide to parents http://www.naccrra.org/docs/parent/38IndicatorsChecklist.pdf

Above all, trust your instincts

If you have any questions, let me know!

Thanks! This helped a lot, I did see the daycare I am considering on the list and the information was helpful and the checklist was awesome!

CafeMom Tickers
MamaChels8806
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Things to ask... Are they licensed, Do they provide food for breakfast and lunch and snacks or do you have to provide it. Do they have scheduled activities, I know with babies it's a very flexible schedule but still a schedule. How long have they been doing this. Look around and check out the kids, are they happy and entertained and are the 'teachers' interacting and playing with them. Ask what you should bring with him. I don't know what else lol. But good luck and hope it works out =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)