Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I pass up this opportunity? I need advice before 3pm PLease Help

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM
  • 12 Replies

I work as a Medical Assistant at a really large medical group. I love my coworkers and my boss is really cool. So I recently got an offer for an interview to be a teacher for a vocational school to teach ppl to be Medical Assistants. I did the interview and they like me a lot and requested I do a second interview today. This is super great, how could I turn this down right? Well see I have a wonderful little 2 year old boy. My son Jacob. And this job as an interesting schedule. I would start at 8am to 1230pm and then a 4 hour break and back at 5pm-930pm. So this is an all day job. By the time I get home my little boy would be in bed. So he would only see me for a half hour in the morning everyday and then late Friday and Saturday and Sunday. I also would get the breaks that students get like for the summer and the holidays. But lets just say this I c my son now 2.5 hours a day and 30 min in the morning and the weekends. 2.5 hours because we pick him from daycare at 6pm we get home at 630pm after picking him up. Dinner at 730pm we play till 9pm and then he is in bed at 930pm. Then the weekends we spend all day with him. Taking him out and playing.

I really would love the opportunity to be a teacher and teach something I've been doing my whole life. But its hard cause I cant imagine being without my son all day. What do you guys think. I especially want to hear from fulltime worker moms and the moms with same situation as far as working hours.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytotaylor
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM

thats a hard one, is the pay better or around the same? still a hard one though

newagemom700
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I went to school mornings and work in the evenings, and saw my DS for maybe 2-3 hrs. a day. It was stressful and i hated not seeing him, so i changed my schedule around so I work full time in  the day, and take classes 1 night a week, so that is the only day i am away all day. I missed him so much being gone all day....thats just my experience.

Alekona
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM

yea I would base it on the pay too...and you do get summers off and other holidays

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

I am an Organic feeding, co sleeping, non vaccinating, God loving, supporter of the Military, young, single mamma, and I wouldnt change anything about my life with my one and only little man!!
boy kissing mom

NikMcLeod
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Quoting mommytotaylor:

thats a hard one, is the pay better or around the same? still a hard one though

Well the pay is a dollar more. And yes it sooooo hard. Ive been struggling over this since last wednesday.

NikMcLeod
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Quoting Alekona:

yea I would base it on the pay too...and you do get summers off and other holidays

I get the holidays the week before the 4ot of July and 1 week during the holidays. I would have the choice to work or use my vaca during the times the students are out.

MissLydie
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Is it possible for you to pick him up from daycare on your break and then have someone take him for the hour until your husband gets off work?

KiddiesSigns.com Banner

cf3smom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Question?  Do you work 7 days a week?  Do you have 2 days off per week?  I was a little unclear about your current schedule as opposed to what your "new" schedule would be.

I went back to work when my son was 9 months old.  I liked my job, but would have frequent "breakdowns" in the office because my sitter would call and tell me all of the cute things he was doing.  I missed his first steps.  It was really hard but we needed the money at the time.  Now we are a little better off..so I stopped working when my son was 6.  It was the right decision at the time.....he's 12 now and I'm trying to start my own business....losing weight...going on dates with my hubby....and my son says he's happy to see me happy.

If you have a job that gives you 2 full days off....I say go for it.  Motherhood is wonderful....but don't feel guilty for wanting a career.  You will be a better person AND mom for taking care of your needs also.  Your son will be fine....he may miss you and it will be hard on both of you, but in the long run....it could be very helpful.  Hope this helps.

Dee

NikMcLeod
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Quoting cf3smom:

Question?  Do you work 7 days a week?  Do you have 2 days off per week?  I was a little unclear about your current schedule as opposed to what your "new" schedule would be.

I went back to work when my son was 9 months old.  I liked my job, but would have frequent "breakdowns" in the office because my sitter would call and tell me all of the cute things he was doing.  I missed his first steps.  It was really hard but we needed the money at the time.  Now we are a little better off..so I stopped working when my son was 6.  It was the right decision at the time.....he's 12 now and I'm trying to start my own business....losing weight...going on dates with my hubby....and my son says he's happy to see me happy.

If you have a job that gives you 2 full days off....I say go for it.  Motherhood is wonderful....but don't feel guilty for wanting a career.  You will be a better person AND mom for taking care of your needs also.  Your son will be fine....he may miss you and it will be hard on both of you, but in the long run....it could be very helpful.  Hope this helps.

Dee

My current schedule is 7am-430pm. I go run errands then my husband I take turns picking him up. We pick him up at 6pm I sometimes pick him up 530pm depending if I have to work late or not.

The new possible schedule will be from 8-1230pm (The new job is 45 min away w/o commuters traffic) and then 5pm-930pm. So since I would be working 45 min away it would be kinda hard driving back in forth during my break. The closer I get to commuters traffic time I take a chance of being late for my class. PLus gas

mommytotaylor
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:53 PM

i dont know, a dollor more, by the time taxes are taken out it would almost be the same, maybe i am wrong but if your going to get less time with you son i would pass but thats me, now if you need extra money badly then i would think more about it but if you arent hurting for it i wouldnt

swizzlefiz
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:07 PM

If its just a dollar more an hour, thats only $40 a week ..... if you are happy with where you are and what you do, I wouldn't take it.  You should still go on the interview though if it is scheduled.  If you don't you run the risk of burning a bridge you might want to use later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)