• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what all am I gonna need?? IM A 1ST TIME MOM??

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM
  • 20 Replies

Ok im 35 weeks and 3 days, and what im wanting is for you guys to tell me everything you think im going to need for my new baby? Im wanting to make a list so i could go buy the stuff i'm lacking...So if you could please tell me everything that you thought was a must have?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yesitsme311
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Well there is the obvious things like diapers, wipes, onsies, formula, and bottles, unless you are BF then I guess formula you would not really need. Just dont go crazy. There are SO many things that baby stores try to get us all to buy that we do not need. Make sure you have plenty of wash cloths and/or spit up rags. Blankets depending on where you live, like if its hot or cold there. Pacifiers, although not every baby takes one but its good to have them on hand just on case. A baby bathtub would be good and of course baby soap. Baby powder or diaper rash cream.

Personally I would not waste your money on bottle warmers, changing tables or one of those fancy diaper bags, unless of course thats your thing. Other than that you will figure out what you need and dont need as you go along. Good luck momma!!

cf3smom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM

DIAPERS DIAPERS DIAPERS

bassinet, bouncy chair, bottles, wipes, gas drops, bottle brush, side snap t-shirts(until belly cord falls off) baby powder, lotion, baby oil, baby tylenol, onesies, easy on outfits, sleeping gowns (easy for diaper changes at 3am), receiving blankets, sun hat, cloth diapers or burp cloths, baby socks, travel set, diaper bag, car adaptable bottle warmer, stroller, car seat, neck support for car seat, extra diaper bag to keep in the car for emergencies, nail clipper grooming set, baby laundry detergent, pacifier (optional) pacifier clip, pajamas,....that's all I can think of for now but if I remember more I'll add on to the list.  Hope this helps

charlene_kyle
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM

When I had my first  I thought I needed EVERYTHING. When it came down to it I didnt use half the stuff i bought. Just be practical. As the other woman said about not buying a changing table. We did not use our changing table it became a catch all. Obviously you will need diapers,bottles,wipes and other things like that. I would also suggest a boppy. I LOVED it. With both my kids the boppy really came in handy. Also a bumbo was great help when my kids got a few months old. Hope this helps! Good Luck with everything!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Things I needed:

A nursing pillow, breast pads, a wrap or sling to wear my baby, receiving blankets, baby washcloths, clothes that have been washed, cloth diapers as well as a pack of 7th Generation newborns... My son liked his swing.

Other than that (and a carseat) we didn't need much. We co slept, so there was no need for a crib or bassinet, I breastfeed so there was no wasting money on bottles, formula and other accessories and we cloth diaper so with our second child, we didn't even really need to buy any.

If you are breastfeeding, I would try and find a nipple cream as well. I liked one with a castor and olive oil base, but lots of moms prefer lanolin.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

belleandelismom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Other than the obvious like a crib, carseat/stroller combo, and clothes, my must haves are tons of burp rags, swaddling blankets, a big box of diapers (I don't bother with the small packs), plenty of wipes, an infant to toddler bathtub, and the disposable washcloths with the soap built in. IMO diaper genies, wipe warmers, changing tables, and bassinets aren't really worth the money. However, if you have the money, then just buy whatever you want and what will work for your household. Good luck and congrats!

Mommy of 2 great kids and wife of the best husband ever!!!

claytonsmommy12
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Here's what you'll need:

Newborn:

Unscented diapers and wipes (the scented ones could irritate their skin), onesies, sleep gowns, stretchy pants, socks, wash cloths, burp rags (get a lot of those so you don't have to wash constantly), receiving blankets, hats (like the one they give you in the hospital), mittens (so they dont scratch their face), nail clippers, baby bathtub with a mesh infant sling, formula (if you dn't breast feed), bottles (i personally liked the ones with the drop in liners), diaper bag, bassinet, crib, crib mattress, bouncy chair, swing, alcohol (to clean the umblicial cord until it falls off).

Infants:

Walker/jumparoo, stroller, more clothes (it's best to get one size up so they grow into them), and mostly the same stuff as above.

BraedonsMommy08
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Diaper Gene~ I personally love the diaper gene! It keeps things clean and neat. No stinky diapers in the bathroom/kitchen.

Changing table~ Most ppl dont use them but my son is 8 months old & we still use it! Everyone told me not to get it! lol I actually use a dresser with a changing pad on top.

onsies, diapers, wipes, bottle cleaner, bottles, formula just incase, birp rags, boppy pillow, blankets, pacifer, pj's i like the potatoe bag looking onesthat zip up easy diaper change. nail clippers, rash cream,lotion, soap, washclothes, tub,towels,socks (i didnt have enough),

This is all i can think of right now

Congrats!

youngmom33
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

My must haves ( besides the obvious diaper, soap, wipes )

~ Bouncer

~ Zip up blanket sleeper ( I was a sids paranoid freak )

~ Paci

~ bibbs

~ head rest for car seat and shoulder pads as well

~ Car window shade

~ Tylenol and Motrin for shots

~ Mylcon (sp) babies are super gassy

~ swing

golther
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Dont forget beanies for your babies head. A swing is always nice if you have a crib make sure you have at least 2-3 crib sheets in case of accidents. The boppy was also handy to have. Diapers  of course and a box or 2 of wipes I started buying those 2 things when I was 3 months pregnant so Hopefully we wont have to buy them later. Lotion and the head to toe wash because there is no reason to buy shampoo and soap. Alcohol swabs are a must with a newborn so that their cord comes off nicely without infection, Baby Q-tips, Bath towels, diaper rash cream, socks, mittens, paci's if your going to use them, A diaper bag and Thats all I can think of right now I'll get back to you when I can think of more.        

Parkermomma44
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM

SLEEP lol but you cant buy that! Everything in the other replies, but also receiving blankets, I had about 10 of them and used them as burping clothes which really came in handy and having several of them meant less laundry! Baby thermometers, baby lotion and soap but be careful don't get the heavy scented lotions they made my baby break out in a rash, just get the Johnson's and Johnson's unscented, its the regular stuff in the pink bottle. Everything else will fall into place just try not to stress!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)