Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone know.. ? about name changing..

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have a quick question and I'm hoping someone can help me out..

I was married in Oct 06, changed my name but never got around to changing it with the Social security office so my name is still my maiden name on my card and when anyone searches my ss #

I want to change my name back to my maiden name (we are getting a divorce, but no paperwork has been filed or anything yet)

I was wondering if I can just change my name back on my license and leave it at that and go right back to my maiden name? Does anyone know?

I would think I could because I never changed my ss # name so it's like I never even changed my name in the first place.

Thanks for any advice

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbie2008
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM

if you never changed your name on your ss card then thats still your legal name ..with my first husband i never changed my ss card name so when i got divorced i didnt have to do anything

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I agree, I don't think it matters at all. You never legally changed it anyway. Well, not in SS's eyes.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday

sarahbearamommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:27 PM

yea i think you can, because technically you never legally changed it through soc sec.. so just go to the DMV and explain the situation, and pay for a new license.  Bring your soc sec card though. My friend just got her license stolen while she was on her honeymoon, and she went to get a new license and got it changed right away.  no biggie.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Mommy2LnJ
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Thanks so much ladies! That's what I was thinking. I am going to apply for Fafsa so that was why I was curious

darbie2008
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM

fafsa will need your legeal name via your ss number ...when i changed my name with my secound marriange i was otld that if i didnt get my ss name changed with in 120 days then my licence would be invalid and i would be with out a drivers licence thats here in ga i dont know what other states do

Quoting Mommy2LnJ:

Thanks so much ladies! That's what I was thinking. I am going to apply for Fafsa so that was why I was curious

iluvmy3bratboys
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM

how do you file taxes if you haven't changed your name on your social security card??   cuz when I got married, I didn't know I had to change my name on the card , until we filed taxes and our refund was denied because the name on the card didn't match the name on the tax forms...

Mommy2LnJ
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Quoting iluvmy3bratboys:

how do you file taxes if you haven't changed your name on your social security card??   cuz when I got married, I didn't know I had to change my name on the card , until we filed taxes and our refund was denied because the name on the card didn't match the name on the tax forms...

I don't work so I don't file taxes. When exH filed us as married( which was only one yr) he put my maiden name down because it matched my ss number

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)