Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some questions!!!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

DH and I are thinking about TTC sometime in the near future and if we do we are opting for a birthing center birth instead of a homebirth like my DS's birth. Problem is I have never been to a OB/GYN before so I really have no idea what I am looking for odd as that sounds to say!

How did you pick your OB/GYN? Are there any questions I should make sure I asked? Anything I should look out for? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I found both my previous OB and the one I am trying out soon from recommendations from friends.  IMO that is the best way to go.  I would ask about after hours questions (do they have a nurse line, etc), who will deliver you, their C-section rate (I just found out one of the local hospitals has a 60% c-section rate!), if they will let you go late or want to induce, what their stance is on natural childbirth, and anything else that is important to you throughout labor and delivery!

sweetphoenix529
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM

That makes total sense.  I actually ended up switching offices halfway through my pregnancy and I have never once regretted the change. 
my own experiences...
I like a place that has midwives and doctors. 
I liked that my 2nd office really explained things to me instead of just brushing over everything. 
My 1st office always seemed too preoccupied to really care about me or my son.  They never even told me what my belly measured or what the heartrate was.  If i had a question, i just felt like an idiot asking it. 
My 2nd office had nurses who came in and went through checklists, prepared you for the actual baby.  They asked about the supplies you already had, and questions you had about once the baby came, etc.  Instead of just worrying about the pregnancy, they were there to help ease your fears about what comes AFTER pregnancy. 
I would ask how many patients they see...are they booked solid or is there some downtime? It tells you if they're overstretched or if you may not get the time you deserve.  It also tells you how long an appt wait is. 
You want to know their opinions on breastfeeding, birthing plans, pain killers, episiotomies, etc. 
I like a place that switches drs at each appt so that you meet everyone before the baby comes.  Then again, the person who delivered mine was not one of the ones i'd met so i suppose it doesn't matter. 
Hope that helped a lil. 

ethans_momma06
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Thanks ladies! Bumping so I can get more input!

Katy_Lentz
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I don't suggest going with what your friends say-my best friend HATES my ob, and IMO he is the best out there! It's all about personality differences. I would ask for percentages on c-sections, inductions, things like that-to see what he favors.

Good luck and God Bless:)

I am a SAHM to 2 adorable little boys-Austin Lee(2) and Elijah Kaid(3mo.)! I am also the wife of an amazing man who works his tush off to provide for us-Curtis Lee! I am a Christian who tries my hardest to not judge! My life is anything but easy and I love it:) I stay positive so I can always be someone that friends can turn to when they need to smile! My Husband is my best friend, my kids are my pride and joys, and my friends can always be counted on!

'Life isn't about waiting on the storm to pass, it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain'

Loved4Sure
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I spoke to colleagues and friends and started making phone calls etc. Fortunately, my OB was in our insurance plan.

1) where do I go when this office is closed and I have an emergency

2) are there any additional phone numbers you can be reached at

3) does the hospital know how to contact you in case of a medical emergency

4) can I choose which dr will deliver my baby ( if in a practice)

5) do you acknowledge birth plans and adhere to them

6) am I allowed a doula or midwife in the birthing process

7) will you consult me tests that may not be necessary and give me the option to decline

inwonderland888
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I never really picked mine... Just went w/ what was close and avliable.

The first time I went and saw an ob it was at a free clinic... lol. They told me I was pregnant and gave me paper work for the Oregon Health Plan. Then I went w/ the only dr that the Oregon Health Plan would cover in my town when I was preggars w/ my first. I really loved the way that that drs office worked for prenatal care and the birthing. It was very very nice. This pregnancy I have acutal health care coverage threw the army and could of virtually went to any dr here in OR but chose the one who was closest to me. I am not as impressed w/ there system as I was w/ my last dr. Its not bad or anything just not amazing like my last. I just hope the birthing center is just as nice and relaxing. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)