Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm just full of questions today! lol.. FAFSA ? for anyone who may know

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am applying for FAFSA and I was wondering to any moms who have if you need to be enrolled in the college before you can apply for it? I have a few colleges in mind but I haven't applied/enrolled at any yet.

Do i need to before I can apply for FAFSA or can I enroll after I receive any loans/grants?

Thanks!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2LnJ
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM

bumpppp...

xElizabethx
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I really don't think you can receive any loans or grants (at least not traditional student loans like sallie mae) before being enrolled. I'm currently taking classes with University of Phoenix. I've been enrolled for a month and actually in classes for 3 weeks. I was told I won't get my actual pell grant overage until sometime in September. Also, student loans don't go to you. They go directly to the school. Unless you apply for a private loan with your bank.

I'm pretty sure the reason they do this is so you can't rip the government off and get a bunch of free cash and then never enroll.

Also, you need a FAFSA pin to apply online. You can do that now. I'm pretty sure the pin stays the same. When I actually enrolled doing student loan and fafsa applications was part of the enrollment process that the school helped me with.

danimal
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM

If i am not mistaken I believe you have to be enrolled before applying. however, i keep thinking that they do have an option where you put what colleges you are interested in. I will try to ask around to some friends who have more recently applied to it and get back to you if I find an answer.

mommy2isabella

Bump! 

in love blowing bubbles  toddler boy*Happily married momma of 2*

youngmomma259

*bump* I was enrolled when I applied. I don't think you have to be enrolled in a particular school, I think that you take the FAFSA, and put the schools on the forms that you wish to apply to. Those schools will let you know what else you need to do to complete the process.

I am not 100% sure though, so bump... maybe someone can tell you for sure!

Vaxing, co-sleeping, bible believing, army fiancee, pro-life, anti-gay marriage, formula using, high school graduate, college student on my way to being a nurse practioner, 17 years old, loving kind of momma of an (almost) 2 year old princess!

LilahandElliot
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Nope, you dont need to be enrolled. They understand that how much Government Aid you get may change which college you go to. It will ask you for a list of colleges to send your results to. Then just find the colleges you have in mind on the list and add them.

deedee1324
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM

you can do your FAFSA and not be enrolled. but they wont give you $$ unless youre in school. and if you drop out you have to pay all that $$ back except the grants. but if you drop out they can refuse to give you financial aid next time you apply.

momtoezzie
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:59 PM

You do not have to be enrolled before filling out your FAFSA. You just put  which colleges you are considering and then those colleges will build a financial aid package thing for you. However, you will not receive any loans or grants until you enroll with the college you choose. Even then, you won't receive it until at least the first day of class. Sometimes later.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Yup :)

Quoting LilahandElliot:

Nope, you dont need to be enrolled. They understand that how much Government Aid you get may change which college you go to. It will ask you for a list of colleges to send your results to. Then just find the colleges you have in mind on the list and add them.

mdmora
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Yes, you can apply without being enrolled.  Plus, it gives you the option to choose what schools you want the information sent to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)