Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Throwing her head back at 9 months?!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM
  • 13 Replies

My baby girl is 9 months old and a few weeks ago she started throwing her head back when she gets mad or upset. Its terrible I have almost dropped her a few times. I dont know what to do with her when she does this I dont want her to get hurt!!! I didn't think that they started throwing tantrums this early!!! Advice? Is this normal behavior???

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ephinany
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM

alot of times that can mean acid reflux,ask your doctor if you can try any home remedies for it and see if it helps

ainsworth3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM

My daughter is 10 months old and she has started  throwing tantrums. She throws her head back like you said and when she is on the floor and wants something she screams and gets all mad. My advice to you would be stop it very soon. All i have to do is say NO in a loud mean voice and she stops. Good luck!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
jenniepepsi
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

definatley common. she cant quite verbalise her anger or frustrations yet. so this is what she does. definately nip it in the bud though. as soon as she does it, put her down and say NO. and dont play with her untill her fit is over.

rachelmm007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Quoting ephinany:

alot of times that can meas acid reflux,ask your doctor if you can try any home remedies for it and see if it helps

yep i thought my 8 month old was throwing tanturms but it was his acid reflux coming back.

Cafe GroupAdmin
Happy autumn!
Thursday at 11:45 PM
by Group Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:32 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Infant/Baby Groups

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

cute_mommy19
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:33 PM

myy dd will be nine months in a few days, and she started banging her head on the floor when she would get mad or not get what she wants. i think its normal, but i really dont know what to do about it. good luck sorry im not much help!

Parkermomma44
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Quoting rachelmm007:

Quoting ephinany:

alot of times that can meas acid reflux,ask your doctor if you can try any home remedies for it and see if it helps

yep i thought my 8 month old was throwing tanturms but it was his acid reflux coming back.

Wouldnt that have other symptoms though? She only does this when she doesnt get what she wants or I tell her not to touch something.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:36 PM

My DD just turned 9months also!  She has also started throwing tantrums - especially when she is tired.  I just put her down and let her pitch the fit.  I don't want her to know that that behavior is okay, so I don't try to soothe her until she is done.  Hopre it all works out for you!

charlene_kyle
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Yes I def. think it is normal. My daughter did the same thing when she was around 9 months. We have hard wood floors and I was so scarred she was going to throw herself back and seriously hurt herself. She grew out of it though. Once she learned how to walk and run she stopped. Good Luck!

rachelmm007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Quoting Parkermomma44:

Quoting rachelmm007:

Quoting ephinany:

Wouldnt that have other symptoms though? She only does this when she doesnt get what she wants or I tell her not to touch something.

well then yeah if there arent any other symptoms and she is only doing it when she does not get her way...i would just start with redirecting her and making her forget what she was screaming about in the first place....which shouldnt be too  hard considering she is only 9 mos old! good luck momma hope it gets easier before the terrible twos!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)