Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

was yaz recalled?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

My sister told me that yaz was recalled. I have been on this bc for 2 years now. I just went to the gyno a week ago and she didnt mention anything about the pill to me... i'm trying to do research on it, but can't seem to find the truth.. does anyone know??

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sampsonbabe
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I would call the gyno office. I saw a commerical for those that have experienced some major side effects they should get on the sue-them team.

sampsonbabe
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

http://www.forthepeople.com/yasmin_yaz_birth_control_lawyers.htm

Quote:

Yasmin and Yaz Lawyers: Yasmin Lawsuits

Yasmin and Yaz Side Effects Include Blood Clots, Stroke, Heart Attack

Manufactured by Bayer Healthcare, Yaz and Yasmin, as well as the generic equivalent Ocella, are once-a-day oral contraceptives used to prevent pregnancy. In addition, Yaz has also been FDA-approved as the only the birth control pill that can treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD), a condition that causes severe emotional and physical symptoms around a women's menstrual cycle. Unfortunately, this popular birth control pill, which made more than $600 million dollars in 2008, has been linked to serious side effects including blood clots and heart attacks.

Yasmin and Yaz are two separate birth control brand names manufactured by Bayer Healthcare that prevent unwanted pregnancy. However, Yaz has 24 days of "active pills" intended to shorten a women's period, while Yasmin has the traditional 21 "active pills." Both Yasmin and Yaz contain the ingredients drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol.

If you or a loved one has taken Yasmin, Yaz or Ocella and have developed serious health problems, such as deep vein thrombosis or blood clots, fill out our free, no risk case evaluation form.

Side Effects of Yasmin and Yaz

One of the most popular oral contraceptives on the market, Yasmin and Yaz contain a different type of hormone known as drsp or drospirenone. Although Bayer Healthcare claims that they are as safe as other types of birth control pills, drospirenone can increase a user's potassium levels. This can lead to serious health problems, which are particularly dangerous for those with kidney, liver and adrenal disease. In addition, other serious side effects of Yaz and Yasmin include:

• Heart attack
  • Stroke
  • Blood clots
  • Benign liver tumors
  • Deep vein thrombosis
  • Pulmonary embolism
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Sudden death

Those with certain risk factors such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes or high blood pressure have an increased chance of developing these Yaz side effects.

Deceptive Yaz Ads

The FDA has reprimanded the manufacturer of Yasmin and Yaz after a set of television ads were released that have allegedly misled many consumers. The deceptive Yaz ads market the drug for unapproved uses, such as the treatment of PMS symptoms and all types of acne. The FDA also stated that the misleading Yaz ads minimized the serious side effects of the birth control pill. By broadening the usage of Yaz and underplaying its side effects, many women may have taken the drug under false pretenses.

If you or a loved one has suffered a heart attack, stroke or any other serious health problem that may have been caused by Yasmin, Yaz or Ocella, our attorneys can help. The Yaz birth control lawyers at Morgan and Morgan are dedicated to ensuring pharmaceutical companies are held responsible for the dangerous side effects of their products. Morgan & Morgan's Yasmin attorneys are experienced in litigating dangerous and defective drug cases and have the resources and knowledge to pursue justice on your behalf. Contact us today to see if you are eligible for a Yasmin/Yaz lawsuit.

iluvmy3bratboys
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I'm still on it, just got it renewed this month ...

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Not at this time.  There are groups demanding it be recalled though because of risk of heart attack and stroke.  I take it too.  It is the easiest thing that helps my PMDD because Zoloft causes neck stiffness on me like you wouldn't believe and headaches that make me feel like my head is going to pop off.

kids4ever515
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Yaz Birth Control Recall

Produced by Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, Yasmin is considered a fourth generation oral contraceptive that is designed to prevent pregnancy. What separates Yasmin from all other birth control pills, aside from Yaz, is that these two pills contain drospirenone, a synthetic form of progestin. The drospirenone in these birth control pills works in combination with ethinyl estradiol (EE) to prevent pregnancy.

Important Information You Should Know About Yasmin

Before you start taking Yasmin (or if you are already taking the birth control pill), there are some things you should know. You should discuss your complete medical history with your doctor before taking Yasmin. Make sure to tell your doctor if you have any of the following conditions as Yasmin may not be the best fit for you:

• History of stroke, heart attack or blood cots
  • Kidney or liver disease
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Adrenal gland disorder
  • History of jaundice caused by birth control pills
  • High blood pressure or heart disease
  • High cholesterol
  • Cancer of any type
  • Seizures or epilepsy

Yasmin Side Effects You should Know About

When considering taking any type of medication, it is important to understand the possible side effects and health risks. Yasmin, of course, carries many of the common side effects that are associated with any oral contraceptive, including bloating, cramps, breast tenderness, weight gain, changes in appetite, and more. More importantly, however, Yasmin has been linked to an increased risk of the following serious health conditions:

• Heart attack
  • Stroke
  • Blood clots
  • Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
  • Pulmonary embolism
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Kidney stones

This is not a complete list of Yasmin side effects. Ask your doctor for a full list of potential health risks to determine if this is the right pill for you.

Yasmin vs. Yaz: What is the Difference Between Yaz and Yasmin?

Often confused to be the same thing, Yasmin is not Yaz. Both pills are classified as fourth generation oral contraceptives; however, there are slight distinctions between the two, including:

• Yasmin was approved by the FDA in 2001 and Yaz was approved in 2006
  • Yasmin has a slightly higher EE level than Yaz:
  • o Yasmin—3 mg drospirenone and 30 mcg EE per tablet
  • o Yaz—3 mg drospirenone and 20 mcg EE per tablet

Which Medications Can Be Taken at the Same Time as Yasmin Birth Control?

This depends. Some drugs will affect the effectiveness of Yasmin. Make sure to discuss, in detail, the list of drugs you are currently taking with your doctor, including vitamins, minerals, herbal products and drugs prescribed by other doctors.

Yaz or Yasmin – Which Works Best for Acne?

This really depends on your body. Yaz Birth Control has a slightly lower EE level, which may affect each woman differently. Reviews from users are all over the board with this question. While some women say Yasmin helped improve their acne dramatically, others say it is Yaz that helped them clear their moderate acne.

Both Yasmin and Yaz have been approved by the FDA to treat moderate acne in women who are least 14 years old and have already started having periods.

Changing From Yasmin Birth Control to Yaz Birth Control

Both Yasmin and Yaz have been linked to serious side effects and even sudden death. If you’re considering switching from Yasmin birth control to Yaz birth control, talk to your doctor before making the decision on your own.

For more information about Yasmin or Yaz, contact our Yasmin Attorneys today

lapcounter
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I sure in the hell wouldn't take it the town I live in we have had three women have strokes and two died from being on Yaz!

imechard
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:20 PM

My dr put me on it over 8 years or so ago. I went back to the Netherlands and my dr there told me to stop taking it immediately, that they do not prescribe it to their patients and that it is dangerous. Just thank living in the US to being exposed to dangerous stuff, where the drug companies have the right to get drs to prescribe stuff doctors all over the world do not prescribe to their patients

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM

wow i am not gonna take it either scary!

Quoting lapcounter:

I sure in the hell wouldn't take it the town I live in we have had three women have strokes and two died from being on Yaz!

my reason for getting up everyday she is 3 and she is my world.

momto2boys973
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I've been on Yaz for years and never had a problem. All I've seen recently was an add from a lawyer but it actually surprised me. ALL oral contraceptives have those risks, not just Yaz. And it's something that it's well known, thatoral contraceptives increase the chance of clots and heart problems. It was even on their T.V commercial.

IMHO, someone is trying to profit here. I mean, from what I read the woman who first started this hoopla even sued Walgreen's because that's where she bought the pill. To me, itsounds like someone taking advantage of the system.

But as far as I know no recall has been called.

Sharon

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Only 50 women have died due to Yaz/Yasmine in the last 5 years or so.  I almost guarantee most of them were smokers.  If you smoke, you shouldn't be on any bcp in my opinion.  Especially if you are over 35 and a smoker.

I guess I will take my chances because I don't really have any issues that put me at a higher risk.

Quoting momto2boys973:

I've been on Yaz for years and never had a problem. All I've seen recently was an add from a lawyer but it actually surprised me. ALL oral contraceptives have those risks, not just Yaz. And it's something that it's well known, thatoral contraceptives increase the chance of clots and heart problems. It was even on their T.V commercial.

IMHO, someone is trying to profit here. I mean, from what I read the woman who first started this hoopla even sued Walgreen's because that's where she bought the pill. To me, itsounds like someone taking advantage of the system.

But as far as I know no recall has been called.

Sharon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)