Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any DIY solutions for baby chewing on crib rail?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

No stores in my town sell crib rail covers, and my baby is ruining his crib rail, not to mention eating the paint! I can order one online, but I need it today. Any ideas of a homemade solution? Thanks!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Somebody on here gave me an idea but then my son climbed out of his crib so I never used it.  Can you sew?  Sew some batting between two pieces of fabric.  Have a lot of ribbons on the two edges.  Then you just fold it over the top and tie it down!  Easy, cute, and cheap!

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I have heard of people making covers out of quilted fabric that wraps around.

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM
Jess_9-22-08
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I don't have a sewing machine, and I don't think I can tackle that big of a project by hand, LOL. Especially by bedtime tonight. : ) Thanks for the ideas though. Any more?

mommytoG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Walmart or target doesnt have one? Do you have a babies r us or burlington coat factory

Get your free online pregnancy calendar from WhatToExpect.com
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Hmmm... maybe tie a blanket around in the same way?

Quoting Jess_9-22-08:

I don't have a sewing machine, and I don't think I can tackle that big of a project by hand, LOL. Especially by bedtime tonight. : ) Thanks for the ideas though. Any more?

AuntieV
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Try wiping all of the surfaces with a mild detergent or something that you know he will not like the taste of. Some things that come to mind are lemon juice, pine sol, even baby wipes or mouthwash might work.  Just keep some handy so you can wipe the surface each time you put him in the crib. It will only take a few days of doing this and the crib will be safe.

Good Luck!

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

pine sol?  You would seriously put pine sol on your childĀ“s crib where you KNOW they are going to chew right before you put your child in there?  YIKES!

Quoting AuntieV:

Try wiping all of the surfaces with a mild detergent or something that you know he will not like the taste of. Some things that come to mind are lemon juice, pine sol, even baby wipes or mouthwash might work.  Just keep some handy so you can wipe the surface each time you put him in the crib. It will only take a few days of doing this and the crib will be safe.

Good Luck!

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Yes, you could use small blankets and tie them around. Just make sure the ties are secure so the baby can't pull them off and choke.  I wouldn't recommend putting chemicals on the rail for your baby to lick off.

Jess_9-22-08
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Thanks for the great ideas. No, I checked online, and my Walmart, Target, and Baby Depot don't have the covers in the stores - just online. We don't have a BabiesRUs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)