Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sometimes I feel like doctors think we are stupid..

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ive been having a medical issue and doctors always just seem to brush me off and my DH is military so if I wanted to go to a dermatologist I have to get a referral..and our doctor is just a general practitioner and doesnt deal with this specific issue on a daily basis... but I have been doing research myself to find a remedy and the doctor just told me no he had never heard of that being an effective treatment and not to do it....I feel that he is wrong, its even published in the Merck Medical Library, which is a trusted manual! I mean how can he tell me im wrong?? just because he hasnt heard of it..plus ive found it in a ton of places online! I just feel stupid now and I dunno if I should try the treatment or not...im breastfeeding so thats why I asked him, it requires me to take 25 extra mg of Zinc...but they told me I cant...on Kellymom.com it says Increasing mom's zinc intake does not increase the amount of zinc in her milk..so what does it matter if I take more...plus as long as I dont exceed 150mg a day there are no problems, thats the most you can take daily without causing problems and its not even close to that..I told him I have several symptoms of being zinc deficient and im not surprised that I am because im breastfeeding and I know she takes alot of nutrients and honestly I looked at foods containing zinc and I dont eat any of them except eggs..and I rarely eat those and cereal, which only has 8mg which is hardly any for a breastfeeding mother...I guess im just venting..just because im not a doctor doesnt mean I havent done ALOT of the research and work trying to resolve this problem

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Loved4Sure
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM

it sucks that you are in a refferal situation. i would asked to be reffered to a whole different practice if it was possible, especially if you feel your dr. is inattentive. We know our bodies more then any other person even our doctors, don't give up! 

fcangel9
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM

alot of breastfeeding moms continue to take their prenatal vitamins after birth because it is draining on your body just like being pregnant.  have you tried taking them daily?

Italiancouture7
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I do but it just never seems to be enough, my immune system has gotten worse in the last couple months, im trying to get it back up there but im not having much luck, im not HUGELY unhealthy but Im not where I was before pregnancy..Ive read in alot of breastfeeding forums that mothers didnt feel or become back to their normal healthy selfs until a couple months after they stopped breastfeeding...DD is 8 1/2 months and Im so close to a year I dont wanna stop now, I want to give her the best I possibly can

Quoting fcangel9:

alot of breastfeeding moms continue to take their prenatal vitamins after birth because it is draining on your body just like being pregnant.  have you tried taking them daily?

mamad122
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I would def try the Zinc treatment, it sounds like you've done the research in all the right places so you would know if it's harmful. Take care of yourself :)

Pregnancy Ticker 

in love    toddler girl  expecting baby
 Jeremy & Nicole      Shae        Thane OR Joslin
       7-14-07          7-13-08
          12-21-09

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I agree :)

Quoting mamad122:

I would def try the Zinc treatment, it sounds like you've done the research in all the right places so you would know if it's harmful. Take care of yourself :)

yogamom16
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:41 PM

are you seen at a MTF?  If so I would give tricare a call and tell them that you want to move to a doctor off base/post.  If you are overseas I would switch your doc to another one at the MTF.  I really hate dealing with military doctors they always think that they know everything and they blame everything on "stress".    Have they done any blood work on you?  If not then I would consider going to the patient represenitive and complaining.

Italiancouture7
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Quoting yogamom16:

are you seen at a MTF?  If so I would give tricare a call and tell them that you want to move to a doctor off base/post.  If you are overseas I would switch your doc to another one at the MTF.  I really hate dealing with military doctors they always think that they know everything and they blame everything on "stress".    Have they done any blood work on you?  If not then I would consider going to the patient represenitive and complaining.

nope they havent done anything, and thats exactly what they blamed it on, stress, because im a new mom and breastfeeding, shes 8 months old im used to the stress by now lol

yogamom16
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM

are you seen by a doctor on post?  If so, I would go over there and ask to speak with the patient represenative and tell them everything that is going on.  I think its crazy that they didnt even do blood work on you to check for any deficincies. 

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Quoting yogamom16:

nope they havent done anything, and thats exactly what they blamed it on, stress, because im a new mom and breastfeeding, shes 8 months old im used to the stress by now lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)