Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get paid for helping out my sick mom?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:35 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ok so I made a post about this on yahoo and people treated me horribly!

Here's the deal.. My mom has always had back problems and she's got Lymes Disease.. Her doctor told her that she has to take it easy bc her Lymes is getting really bad.. She was told she should just lay in bed and take it easy for about a year to see how she does. Her lab tests were VERY bad..  I had been staying with her trying to get on my feet financially after a horrible breakup with my daughters dad of five years and was about to move out and go to school for nursing when she asked me to stay home to help her out. She can't go do the grocery shopping because of her back and the pain. She's not supposed to lift more than a gallon of milk. She can't bend or stoop and she can't sit or stand for too long. She's on medicare and disability. So I said okay and decided to stay and help out. I do all the cleaning and the cooking. I take her to her doctors appointments and run any errands she needs done.

SHE came up with the idea of asking medicare if there was any way I could get paid for helping her. She doesn't need a nurse or anything like that she just needs someone to do the house work and cook and stuff...everything I do. My dad works 12-14 hours a day trying to keep up with bills and stuff so they don't have money to hire someone. Medicare doesn't have anything like this. 

Does anyone know of any program or anything that would pay me for helping out?

I feel terrible asking but I'm only working  part time right now, cannot afford daycare, no child support coming in, and my parents cannot afford to pay for my gas, my insurance or anything else for me.. To top it off I do not have insurance so imagine any doctor bill when my daughter gets sick! I don't mind helping out but I need SOME sort of decent income..

Thanks!

Mommie's little baby doll!!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I don´t know.  I know you can sometimes get government money if you are caring for a disabled child but since she is already getting disability I don´t know that they would pay you as well.

AuntieV
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I spent 5 years doing 24/7 care for BOTH of my parents without being able to collect a cent. Good Luck on trying to find something.  

prd2b_calledmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM

idk if u can or not but i think its extremely selfish to even want to!

your mom took care of you for how many years without being paid for it? and now you expect to get paid to help her out?? i think you owe it to her to help out. without expecting money in return.

honestly im not trying to be rude by saying any of this but do you pitch in with rent/morgage, groceries, utilities or any other household bills? if not i think ur being paid enough by living rent free and having food provided for you and your child.

<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytinks.com/birthday/birthday-tickers/birthdayticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=&t2=Madisyn is&b=13&c=0x000000&f=31&y=2007&m=4&d=3" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a href="http://www.widdlytinks.com/">Birthday Tickers from WiddlyTinks.com</a></center>

Pregnancy ticker
MOM22QTS
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:03 PM

who paid your mother to raise you???

i really dont want to be mean..i know that you are doing a lot for her..but she needs you. She is your mother. I would do the same or more for my mother in a heartbeat without expecting anything in return.

AuntieV
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Quoting prd2b_calledmom:

your mom took care of you for how many years without being paid for it? and now you expect to get paid to help her out?? i think you owe it to her to help out. without expecting money in return

The poster was only asking if there are any programs that would help with the cost of caring for a parent. If she was not doing this for her parent, medicare would cover the expense of paying professionals to come into the home to assist them but will not pay a relative for doing the same thing.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Geez ladies, lay off!  She is just trying to figure out how to support her family while caring for her mother.  She´s not trying to get rich, just trying to not take the money her parents do not have while helping them out. 

IMO that is much more commendable than people like my SIL.  She moved in with her parents with her 3 kids and just LIVED off of them.  In the end they ended up declaring bankruptcy because they could not support the extra family of 4!

Oh, and she is not asking her parents to pay her either.  How many moms are on welfare to support their children?  Disability?  Is it wrong to need help to support your family?

Aurorasmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM

well, i dont necessarily believe that you are entitled to any compensation for it, but you MIGHT be able to get something through the family medical leave act...look that up.

did you have employment prior that you had to quit?  or were you unemployed and are looking for a way to make ends meet?

sweetcherry_59
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I have a friend who takes care of her disabled dad and gets paid. She goes over everyday and cooks him meals and cleans and she gets a small check once a month. I will have to ask her how she went about it because I personally know nothing about it.

drinkme8184
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Quoting prd2b_calledmom:

your mom took care of you for how many years without being paid for it? and now you expect to get paid to help her out?? i think you owe it to her to help out. without expecting money in return.

honestly im not trying to be rude by saying any of this but do you pitch in with rent/morgage, groceries, utilities or any other household bills? if not i think ur being paid enough by living rent free and having food provided for you and your child.

If she were aking her mother for money than it might be rude.  But the poster is a parent, and she needs to pay her bills.  It is not rude at all.

prd2b_calledmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM

i know what she was asking and i stated my opinion. i wasnt being rude about it. so if you dont like it, move on!

and who pays her doesnt change anything! ok so it may not be her mom that would pay her but medicare or whatever. ok. did medicare pay her mother when she was sick? i highly doubt it! or did medicare pay someone else (non family) to come in and take care of her? no! i dont see what the difference is, expect the mother had NO CHOICE but to care for the OP.

Quoting AuntieV:

Quoting prd2b_calledmom:

your mom took care of you for how many years without being paid for it? and now you expect to get paid to help her out?? i think you owe it to her to help out. without expecting money in return

The poster was only asking if there are any programs that would help with the cost of caring for a parent. If she was not doing this for her parent, medicare would cover the expense of paying professionals to come into the home to assist them but will not pay a relative for doing the same thing.

<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytinks.com/birthday/birthday-tickers/birthdayticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=&t2=Madisyn is&b=13&c=0x000000&f=31&y=2007&m=4&d=3" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a href="http://www.widdlytinks.com/">Birthday Tickers from WiddlyTinks.com</a></center>

Pregnancy ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)