• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all Nurses Doctors and Midwives!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay so I had an ipiffany earlier today. I was daydreaming while my kids were still in bed and I was thinking about what it would be like to help a woman deliver her baby. I've been thinking about it all day and I actually really like the idea. I'm just wondering what the best way to go about getting the proper education for this would be. Do I just enroll in a cna program and then nursing school? Or do I have to go to a regular college and get a 2 yr first and then go from there?

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2murphyboys
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Oh come on! I'm serious. I really want to do this!~

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Moms in School
full time workers

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

sylviapike26
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM

It really depends on the program and school you go through.  If you are talking about being a nurse, usually what you do is start out with general ed classes then start taking the nursing classes in stages.  You get your CNA first, although you have to take a test to be certified, then your LPN after you have been in the actual nursing program for a year, and then your RN when you are done.  Again with your LPN you have to take a test to get your license.  I am going to be an OB nurse and I will get into the actual nursing program in the Spring.  The prerequisites are 2 years and then the nursing program is 2 years.  It can be pretty tough to get into depending on the school you go through.

breezyinsc
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:33 PM

If you are more interested in a laboring woman's emotional and spiritual well-being rather than her medical well-being, you might be better suited for work as a Labor Doula. If you don't know much about Doulas, check out CAPPA or DONA for more information. The certification process for a Doula differs from one organization to another, but it's basically studying for a trade, much like electrical work or automotive repair.

I thought I wanted to be an L&D nurse or Midwife for a long time, until I found out how little time a woman who is medically involved in a birth typically spends with a laboring mother. In less traditional settings, like a Birth Center, a NMW spends most of her time with the mother but her attention is still split between two or more women at a time. During my search for Midwifery schools, I discovered the role of a Labor Doula. I am completing my training with CAPPA and attended a birth this last Friday. It was AMAZING!

Granted, most of us do not do it for the pay. The most I can ever really hope to make in a month (minus childcare costs for my own little ones) is roughly $1500. But the emotional and spiritual payoff for me is irreplacable. NOTHING comes close to what I get to experience when I am chosen by a mother to be her Doula.

Hope that helps!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:47 PM

I just got my security clearance and am going to start a 2 year program for Midwifery. I wanted to be a lactation consultant, but I would need hundreds of hours of apprenticeship and I haven't found anyone close by I could shadow, so I decided to start with this.

I am in Canada though, so I'm not sure how different it is. Our healthcare covers midwives and there is a demand... I am going to start in the next couple months.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM

You'll need to get a BSN (a 4 year degree) and then go on to get more edcuation to be a midwife.. I'm not sure how long that takes, but probably at least another 2 years of school... maybe more like 4.

You could get your CNA, but they teach you all of that in nursing school anyway your first semesters. Then if you want to do CNA work you can just take the exam (that is what I did)

But if you are just thinking it would be neat to do baby stuff... you could always train to by a doula or birth coach. You wouldn't deliver any babies but you would help the mom through her labor and be there for her when she has the baby.

PhotobucketPhotobucketthextended-rear-facing.gif image by murphythecat

mumbellina
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM

First you'll want to decide whether you want to be a OB/GYN, a Certified Nurse Midwife (can deliver babies in hospitals or birthing centers), a labor and delivery nurse who assists MDs and Midwives, or a doula who provides labor support or assists with home births because the training required for each is different.

To become an OB/GYN you need to go to medical school and then complete a residency delivering babies.To become a Certified Nurse Midwife you first need a bachelors degree in nursing and usually need to work as a labor and delivery nurse for a couple of years. Then you can apply to masters programs that offer Midwifery as a specialty.

Each nursing school is run a little differently and there are several different types of programs and degrees that allow you to practice as a nurse. Some programs are for bachelors degrees, some for associates degrees, and some give no degree at all but just allow you to sit for nursing licensure exams. Some programs require you to have CNA or healthcare experience and others don't. If you want to eventually become a midwife you'll be best served by a bachelor's program. I'd find out what schools near you offer the programs you want and then contact their advisement centers to find out exactly what steps you would need to take.

I don't know as much about what type of training Doulas need, but I think you could probably find it online.

Good luck.

whoda_thunk
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:52 AM

good  This is what I'm going to go to college first.   Well first I'm going to get my CNA, and then I'm going on from there.    I was thinking about maybe going on further to be an OB/GYN, but I'm not sure yet. 

Cassandra. I am a young mommy to Izabela, and have found myself pregnant again. I'm still trying to come to grips with it. I hope it's a little boy. I love being a mommy.  I am who I am, and your opinion is neither desired nor required.Lilypie

erika_wright
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:55 AM

you should look into being a doula (sp?).

my best friend is training to be one and loves it. she will help women right before they deliver, take care of them during labor, and assist them when they go home (case by case basis, not all moms want all of the services, most just want thein labor help).

sounds like it would be perfect for you. 

Mommy to Elliot Marylyn (born 12/18/07), and Wife to Jerry Blaine (married 5/19/07), TTC baby #2! And SOOO happy with my LIFE!

girliegirl1968
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I was a Doula and Childbirth educator for 5yrs.... and I was actually apprenticing to become a Midwife (homebirths) and I loved it.  If you want to know more feel free to contact me....

diane.duckstein@gmail.com

D~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)