Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Essure *UPDATE-new ? in red*

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM
  • 16 Replies

I went to my prenatal appt. today. At my last appointment 4 weeks ago I got a pamplet with information on Essure. (permanent birth control procedure). I am pregnant with my 2nd son and it is my DH's 3rd son. DSS lives with us full time. DH has had full custody of him since he was 1. He is now almost 8. We had our first son together in March of 08. We are due with our second together November 26th......Anyway, we really wanted a girl this time but, low and behold, another boy! :-) So, now we will have 3 boys. I always thought I'd have 2. (boy and girl of course). So, really I think we are done. But, I keep thinking about our "girl" We both really want a daughter, but how many sons does a couple have before they say "alright already!"??

So, my OB GYN said today to let her know by next appointment (in 3 weeks) so I can sign the form to do the procedure. I feel like I should just get it done. It would be the smart thing. I guess I am just afraid of the permanence of it. I think I just need to come to terms with not having a daughter...

Any advice??

****Okay, so after thinking more about it, I don't want to get the Essure right now because I am not 100% positive that we are finished having babies. Can anyone with the IUD tell me pros and cons to having it??? Thanks!!!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM

If you have any doubts at all I would not get it done :)

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I would choose a short term bc until you know for sure. I have 4 boys and still want a girl.  My youngest is 7 and I still toy with the idea of having another.

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM

i agree with the previous posters i would do somthing less pernament the pill or shot or iud somthing they have 5 yr plans like mirena i was like you not long ago i was gonna get fixed then decided i want 1 more i just have 1 girl right now

my reason for getting up everyday she is 3 and she is my world.

2murphyboys
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I would get an IUD and then when you are POSITIVE that you don't want anymore get it done permanently.

I'm 23 with 3 boys 4 and under. After my last one I had my tubes tied. BUT I still don't regret it and I'm not going too. That's what was right for me and my family. You have to do what is right for you and yours. If you want to try for another one do it. But I'd smack DH until he agrees to spit out the girl gene instead of the boy ones. lol Good Luck with your decision!

canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I totally understand what you are going through. I have 4 daughters. I thought about it, but I went with the 10 year paragard iud in case I change my mind. I still dont accept that I have no son. The part that blows my mind the ex (father of the older 3) cheated and his "wife" had a boy. What kind of bs is that!!!

mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Why do you have to sign for it while you are pregnant.  It isn't like you can have it done now anyways and you still have a while before the baby is due.  Don't do anything permannet until you are sure.  Oh and don't let the doctor pressure you into anything that you don't want to do.

mlbrooks421
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Oh, that is horrible! That bitch! AGGHHH, it's so hard because DSS is already 8 and we don't want to be raising kids for 35+ years. (as much as I love this time in my life. :-))   I need to look into other options like that, I guess. Is the IUD ALWAYS 10 years, or can it be shorter? (sorry, that might be a dumb question. I know I need to research my options)

Quoting canthaveboys1:

I totally understand what you are going through. I have 4 daughters. I thought about it, but I went with the 10 year paragard iud in case I change my mind. I still dont accept that I have no son. The part that blows my mind the ex (father of the older 3) cheated and his "wife" had a boy. What kind of bs is that!!!

mlbrooks421
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I guess they hyave to get it set up. It would be done 2 weeks after I have him. I guess there is a 3 month period you have to wait after deciding to do it. I do feel kind of pressured. The more of y'all that reply, the more I know it isn't something I should do right now. Thanks to all of you for responding! :-)

Quoting mommy2boys03:

Why do you have to sign for it while you are pregnant.  It isn't like you can have it done now anyways and you still have a while before the baby is due.  Don't do anything permannet until you are sure.  Oh and don't let the doctor pressure you into anything that you don't want to do.

canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Quoting mlbrooks421:

Oh, that is horrible! That bitch! lol AGGHHH, it's so hard because DSS is already 8 and we don't want to be raising kids for 35+ years. (as much as I love this time in my life. :-))   I need to look into other options like that, I guess. Is the IUD ALWAYS 10 years, or can it be shorter? (sorry, that might be a dumb question. I know I need to research my options)

Quoting canthaveboys1:

The mirena is a 5 year iud. I just opted not to have that because it has the same hormones as the depo. The paragard has no hormones. My doc said once they insert it it is effective, and once they remove it I should not have a problem getting pregnant right off the bat.

I cant make up my mind either, I think I should just enjoy the ones I have now, my baby is almost 9 months old, and my oldest 10. Than I think I may want to try again in a few years. Than I think well I dont want to be 50 before they are all grown up and gone either, kwim? Too many decisions!

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:01 PM

The IUD is no longer effective once removed.  You can remove it at anytime.  The 5 or 10 years is when you would have to have it replaced.

Quoting mlbrooks421:

Oh, that is horrible! That bitch! 

AGGHHH, it's so hard because DSS is already 8 and we don't want to be raising kids for 35+ years. (as much as I love this time in my life. :-))   I need to look into other options like that, I guess. Is the IUD ALWAYS 10 years, or can it be shorter? (sorry, that might be a dumb question. I know I need to research my options)

Quoting canthaveboys1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)