Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School lunches: Homemade or purchased at school? *POLL*

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: My child usually . . .

Options:

takes a homemade lunch.

buys lunch at school.

does both equally--takes a homemade lunch and buys lunch.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

lunchbag

Does your child take a homemade lunch or buy lunch at school?

What did you do when you were a child?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlbrooks421
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I always brought my lunch because I thought school lunches were gross. So, when DSS started kindergarten 2 years ago, I just assumed he would feel the same and bring his lunches, too. Well, he likes the lunches most of the time! (I guess they have gotten better) So, it is up to him. Some days he doesn't like what they are going to serve and he packs a lunch. Other days he eats in the cafeteria.

msheriff
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM

My son's not in school but he would be taking his lunch.  I work in schools and those meals are far from nutritious.  Plus, with the machines that they have.  I can't complain too much because my lunch in high school was from the candy store that we had or the vending machines but I don't want that for my child.  I know some schools are trying to change this but they haven't got there because of shortages in funds.  They can't get the government to help.  I know that the schools have been trying to change this since at least the Clinton administration but very little has happened.

PaulinaK
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM

i always ate at school until i got into high school and then you had a lot more choices when it came to what you wanted to eat....so sometimes i eat there and sometimes i made something at home first...but my daughter starts school in a week and she will be eating hers at school unless she wants something different.

iheartgaia
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM

last year in prek my son took his lunch everyday.  so i knew what he was eating.  but he has requested to eat school lunches this year like "everyone else."  so we check out the menu the night before, so far he has opted to eat the school lunch everyday but one. 

yogamom16
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM

My kids bring their lunch from home.  We eat an all organic vegetarian diet so there is no way I would let them eat school food.

swizzlefiz
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:04 PM

DD takes her lunch every day except Friday(pizza day).

proudmommy22805
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:04 PM

My baby is just starting pre-k this year so he doesn't need lunches yet but I think I will make his lunch to help save money and to make sure he eats right but allow him to have school lunch as a special treat from time to time.

lexismum03
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM

My daughter loves school food for the most part. She ate lunch at school all last year. this year she requested a lunch box. She hasn't asked to use it yet. We always check the menu the night before just so we know if we need to pack lunch or not!

tyfry7496
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM

My son is in middle school and he buys lunch at school. It is uncool to bring a lunch from home in middle school. There are NO machines at his school that sell anything but water, gatorade and juice. NO soda or candy. The lunches aren't too horribly unhealthy, atleast he is eating and not going all day without food.

modelmom04
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:06 PM

IT just depends on what the school is offering that day.  I ususally check the menu for the next day and decide which kid will want a lunch from home or one from school.  When I went to school I always ate the lunch from school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)