Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions on whether or not you think this is okay…

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

Just wanted some people's thoughts on this:

About two months ago 2 little boys (between 10-12) knocked on my door, the older boy was carrying a broom and asked if I had any house cleaning he could do that I could pay him for, I said no, he left.  Since that time, the 2 boys have come by 3 more times as well as 2 little girls, who have come by 3 times asking "do you have any work you can pay me for?", we have told them no every single time as well as asked them not to come back...this past time (last Wednesday) when we told the girls no they asked if they could water our grass when they could clearly see our sprinklers were on then they asked us if we could give them a donation, my husband asked for what and they had no response, because there was no donation, they just wanted us to give them money.  Then they asked if they could have a drink of water from our hose so my husband went and got them each a bottle water and continued what he was doing (yard work) while the girls sat on their bikes in our driveway drinking the water...they then spit their gum in our drive way, which ended up on my 3yr olds shoe which ended up in my car and took 3 water guns from our neighbors front yard (the neighbors weren't home)...I sent out an e-mail in my neighborhood egroup because I think this is just wrong and another neighbor came forward and said these boys have asked for "donations" numerous times and each time she asks for what they tell her never mind...the "head" of the egroup is kind of brushing it off saying that he thinks it's great that local kids are making the effort to make some extra money by trying to find work in the neighborhood and yes what these kids did with the water guns wasn't right, but it's nice they are trying to make some extra money...

My thoughts are first it is hugely inappropriate for a child to be knocking on a strangers door (I have NO CLUE who these kids are or where they live) offering to clean the inside of their house, let alone for an adult to allow children they do not know into their house to clean...besides they could get hurt, they could take something or lie about something happening that didn't...I'd like to think that either of the latter wouldn't happen, but I don't know sometimes.  I also think it is down right wrong for these kids to be turning around and asking for fake donations and if I found out either of my kids was doing this I would be PISSED and so upset with my kids and feel that these kid's parents need to be made aware of the situation.  Plus it is disrespectful to spit gum in someone's driveway and wrong to take something that is not yours.  My "head" of neighborhood egroup is acting like I'm over reacting...

Thoughts? 

**EDIT** These kids are not homeless, the girls are always on bikes and they are clean and wearing different clothes everyday and the boys are always on foot, but again clean…they may be poor I couldn’t say for sure, but definitely not homeless…I also found out last night (after NUMEROUS neighborhood e-mails) that my head of neighborhood knows who these kids are as well as where they live (border of our neighborhood, but not in our neighborhood) and is still giving the brush off…one of my other neighbors has said that she has frequently seen the boy in the 7-11 which is where he has asked her for “donations” for school supplies and when she has told me she has school supplies she can give him if it’s okay with his mom (she’s a daycare provider) he tells her no it’s okay, my mom will buy them for me.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Siggy

I am a formula feeding (by choice), never co-sleeping, tummy sleeping, vaccinating, sleeping in their own room, time-out, CIO and spanking (when need be) believer, pro-induction (with Epi, of course), pro-choice , tattooed and pierced (and yes my daughter’s ear’s are pierced too), needs to lose some weight mama.
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I don't think you are over reacting at all.  that would upset me also.  I put up a sign on my door because it seemed like every day were getting kids knocking on our door for the same reason, some valid some not.   We have had issies with a couple of the neighbor kid riding my daughters scooter when we are not home. We actually caught one doing it when we came home.  It is very disrepectful and frankly if this was me and they knocked on my door i would either call the cops because something does not seem right to me or i would wait until they left and and got in my car and followed them to see if i could see where they lived so that i could talk to their parents.

kay81
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Call the police when u see them in the neighborhood, maybe they could find out who they are and where their parents are.  I am thinking these kids might be traveling a distance to do this since no one knows them and if they are A their parents don't give a crap or B they are sneaking off. Either way it needs to be turned into the authorities for their safety. Maybe they are poor or maybe they are thieves, who knows but at any rate this sounds like it needs to be looked into.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I don´t think you are overreacting at all.  Plus you don´t know their parents so what if their child is inside your house cleaning and they report your child missing?  What if they say you kidnapped them?

If I wanted to hire somebody to do some odds and ends around my house I wouldn´t hesitate to pay my 9 and 12 year old nephews but NOT a random kid that knocked on my door!

sampsonbabe
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:33 PM

This is wrong on so many levels. It is one thing for a teenish kid to ask if he can rake your leaves or shovel your drive way...or heck mow your lawn...but another to clean the inside of a home...I can't imagine  a parent being okay with this.

I would be very concerned about the safety of the children coming into the neighborhood. Not so much they are being a nusance.

However stealing the water guns is theft. Not good.

They are trying to make money...they are asking for money to buy whatever...games, candy...so different...

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Could they be homeless as well as hungry? No parents around?

Nicole080984
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:45 PM

The two girls have bikes and the boys and girls have always been clean looking, so I do not think they are homeless...and I agree like another poster said, if they were asking to mow my lawn, rake leaves, WHOLE other story, but they "jobs" they are offering are not normal things a child that age should be doing...my head of egroup thinks they just are not well off and need love and support (that's what he told me) and that hopefully if we can redirect them this will stop...Not to sound like a b*tch, but it is not my job to parent these kids...and I feel they know what they are doing is wrong and I know if this was my kids, if we were well off or not, I would not approve of them doing this...

Siggy

I am a formula feeding (by choice), never co-sleeping, tummy sleeping, vaccinating, sleeping in their own room, time-out, CIO and spanking (when need be) believer, pro-induction (with Epi, of course), pro-choice , tattooed and pierced (and yes my daughter’s ear’s are pierced too), needs to lose some weight mama.
Loved4Sure
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I would be more concerned then angry. I mean, it is disrespectful to spit their gum out where anyone could step in it, but they are kids.

I would try to find out who their parents are and contact them and ask if they are aware of what their kids are doing.

I wouldn't want to be bothered by them either. Kids, they can be relentless, especially when unattended.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I have had them come by asking for donations for a group of father's and sons to go on a vacation to.....    I have seen this several times with different children. I ask to see a flyer from their organization. Most times they have nothing and once in a while they will have a crumpled up printed item from a home computer that anyone could have made. I tell the kids they should not be doing this and if I find out an adult is sending them around door-to-door which is dangerous, then I am calling the police to investigate. Seriously some adults use there kids to go door-to-door.  It is sick.

Our family has payed a mother and children looking to earn money. They cleaned in our house and outside for a little money. The parent was with the children and they were working together.

liha
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Are the kids' parents even aware that their kids are doing this? Unfortunately, the kids are obviously not aware of the danger that they are putting themselves in. The next time the kids knock on your door, show them a "Have you seen me?" postcard.

"I don't tell you how to corrupt your children, so don't tell me how to corrupt mine."

Nicole080984
by on Sep. 1, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Quoting Mamamanic:

I have had them come by asking for donations for a group of father's and sons to go on a vacation to.....    I have seen this several times with different children. I ask to see a flyer from their organization. Most times they have nothing and once in a while they will have a crumpled up printed item from a home computer that anyone could have made. I tell the kids they should not be doing this and if I find out an adult is sending them around door-to-door which is dangerous, then I am calling the police to investigate. Seriously some adults use there kids to go door-to-door.  It is sick.

Our family has payed a mother and children looking to earn money. They cleaned in our house and outside for a little money. The parent was with the children and they were working together.

My DH is actually thinking that the parents put the kids up to this...or at least suggested it...mainly because I don't know any boys who would willingly decided to carry a broom around knocking door to door for house cleaning...so DH really thinks that one of the parents has given him the broom and suggested he do this...he always has this look of "I don't want to be here" when he "offers"

Siggy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)