Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this may sound stupid but...

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

im supposed to get mirena on thursday and i just got my period today :\ and i was wondering if it was safe to get mirena while your on your period? bc i really need to get tit that day :\ please anser thank you

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
pambayens
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:31 PM

it should be safe, but depending on how heavy your period is at that time they may postpone it until your off due to the fact they may not be able to see enough to implant it

MissiHampt
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Actually, you're supposed to get it inserted while having your period.  Your cervix is open and it will be far less painful.  I got mine while I had my period, hardly felt a thing.  My co worker got hers while not having her period and said it was very painful, almost made her pass out.  My doctor deliberately had me schedule to have mine put in while I had my period. 

OliviasMom0306
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM

They actually wanted me ON my period at time of insertion.  It is a pretty good judge of whether you are pregnant or not.  I sadly had to go a week without any, because mine didn't come in on time and they wanted to make sure I didn't concieve in the time

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM

They're supposed to do it while you're on your period. I'm waiting for mine so I can get an IUD put in.

jackieb2811
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I had it put in once when I wasnt on an once when I was on period I got it right after my twins were born I had to wait til I healed from c sec an after I had my ob app after they were born. I got it in an was suppose to get ultrasound to make sure it was placed right after a week well I didnt know I couldnt have sex for a week an me an SO did. So at u/s the following week they said it had shifted due to my having sex. I then had to have it taken out had to resched an app an have it put back in but they had to do a preg test first an I was nervous lol but then the day I came in to have it put back in I started my period an so I new I wasnt preg but it was sorta gross having it put in on period! lol I get like one period every 4 or 5 months I have had it for 2 yrs almost an not got preg yet so its very effective!

cmtjenn
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I had mine put in at my post-partum apointment and I was still bleading. Remember that is normal for ob/gyn's to deal with bleading they deliver babies after all.  It should be fine.

CafeMom Tickers
ArmyWifey4907
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Most doctors prefer you to be on your period when having Mirena placed because it's supposed to go in easier.  I got mine when I wasn't on my period, and all I felt was just some light cramping, no biggie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)