Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dumpster Boots

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

My husband has been needing a new pair of work boots for a long time now. Money is a little tight right now as we prepare to file for bankruptcy, so he's had to live without. The soles are starting to pull away from the bottoms and they are rubbing and hurting and he works on his feet in a scrap yard, so he needs good boots. Well, we were going to try to scrunch a little so we could buy him a good pair of boots (runs about $100 bucks for a good pair that wont go to crap on him in a month or so).

Hubby gets home from work today with a huge smile on his face. "Look what I got!" he said and holds up two brand new pair of work boots.

"Where did you get those?" I asked.

Well our neighbor dumpster dives for scrap metal and because my husband works in the scrap yard, they are becoming friends. My husband will bring over uncleaned copper and other goodies from the scrap yard, which the neighbor guy will clean up and take into the scrap yard to get a better price for it then what it was when it was originally taken in. So, in exchange for my hubby giving the neighbor these nice things to scrap out and earn his living on, he got something awesome today. . . The neighbor went dumpster diving and found the boots. They were too big for the neighbor but they are my husband's size. Plus, they are brand spanking new. They still have the tags on them and were in the boxes. Not only that. . . They are TIMBERLAND boots!!! These boots run like $160 at the stores. I cannot believe it and my husband is so happy. He really needed those boots.

I'm not a huge religious person, but I do believe in little miracles. This was obviously one of them.

baby

babies
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Yes, miracles still happen and good for you!!

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:18 PM

How exciting!  Just for future reference see if there is an outlet anywhere around you.  My husband found a hi-tech outlet right next to the union hall.  He goes there whenever he needs boots and can often find $150-$200 boots for $30!  It´s worth a try for next time!  Oh, and they have a 1 year guarantee I do believe it is and they honor it very well.

kristinaleann
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM

WOW that is awesome! God always gives you what you need!

My step dad found my son a baby swing in excellent condition sitting outside of a dumpster. There was nothing wrong with it. It actually looked like it was just taken out of the box. I took it home and washed it really good and whala.I have a brand new swing!

ookie_dokie
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM

How awesome!

jessi437
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Its little miracles like those that have to make me wonder.

DyerMaker
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Sometimes, items like these fall in our laps! I remember 1 year when I was about 12 years old. My mom had cash to buy christmas gifts with. This was back in the day when debit cards weren't around, and people didn't like taking 500 dollar checks from people. I have 2 younger brothers, who, at the time, were still enchanted by Santa. My mom has always bought christmas last minute, and this year would be no exception. She loaded her cart with all of the toys we were going to get for the year, went to check out, got distracted, and someone swiped her purse and ran. She had ALL of the money to be used on christmas in her purse in cash. That night, the three of us kids watched the old claymation toon "Rudolph". In there, the "island of misfit toys" sing a song about not being loved by children, ect. My mom, later confides in me about the theft, and wants me to help her come up with an idea for homemade santa gifts. I am at a loss. I was pretty angry (and a little selfish) because I wasn't getting christmas either. Apparently, my mom told some neighbors and a few family friends what happened too. The day before Christmas eve, I remember taking the trash to the dumpster behind our house, and sitting outside the dumpster was a huge clear plastic garbage bag full of toys. I saw this, and drug the heavy sack into our back yard to dig through. It was full of old toys. This saved our Christmas. I later found out that all of the neighbors got together and got their children's old toys and left the sack by the dumpster, knowing I would find it.

That year for christmas, my mom and I told the boys that we were rescuing all of the toys on the island of misfit toys. To this day, my brothers tell me that Christmas meant more to them than the other years. Someone, either from above, or here on earth is looking out for you guys.

A computer beat me at Chess once, but it was no match for me at Kickboxing.

Celtic_Dragon
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:46 PM

We were really poor when we were kids, so most of our toys were used toys that my mom picked up from charity things or from thrift stores/garage sales. As a kid, we never really knew any better about them being new or used. Most of the toys were in such good shape, we loved them all the same. They were actually called misfit toys in our house as well but we got them every year. One misfit toy that was my favorite was a toy carousel that had lots of different little animals, not just horses. And the animals could be removed from the carousel and played with. I love that toy. That and I had an awesome jewelry box with a dancing ballerina. i still have that jewelry box, actually. . .

Quoting DyerMaker:

Sometimes, items like these fall in our laps! I remember 1 year when I was about 12 years old. My mom had cash to buy christmas gifts with. This was back in the day when debit cards weren't around, and people didn't like taking 500 dollar checks from people. I have 2 younger brothers, who, at the time, were still enchanted by Santa. My mom has always bought christmas last minute, and this year would be no exception. She loaded her cart with all of the toys we were going to get for the year, went to check out, got distracted, and someone swiped her purse and ran. She had ALL of the money to be used on christmas in her purse in cash. That night, the three of us kids watched the old claymation toon "Rudolph". In there, the "island of misfit toys" sing a song about not being loved by children, ect. My mom, later confides in me about the theft, and wants me to help her come up with an idea for homemade santa gifts. I am at a loss. I was pretty angry (and a little selfish) because I wasn't getting christmas either. Apparently, my mom told some neighbors and a few family friends what happened too. The day before Christmas eve, I remember taking the trash to the dumpster behind our house, and sitting outside the dumpster was a huge clear plastic garbage bag full of toys. I saw this, and drug the heavy sack into our back yard to dig through. It was full of old toys. This saved our Christmas. I later found out that all of the neighbors got together and got their children's old toys and left the sack by the dumpster, knowing I would find it.

That year for christmas, my mom and I told the boys that we were rescuing all of the toys on the island of misfit toys. To this day, my brothers tell me that Christmas meant more to them than the other years. Someone, either from above, or here on earth is looking out for you guys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)