Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 yr old and 4 yr old cleaning room

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

my boys hate to clean up their room and its always a struggle they dont want to do it they scream the whole time, but im not about to let them leave their toys everywhere. ive thought about taking all of their toys out of their room if they dont pick them up but what else can i do?

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MissiHampt
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I ask my son if he'd like to pick up his toys or if he'd like me to pick them up for him.  If I pick them up, they go in the trash.  He knows this and I've only actually had to do it once.  Now I just smile and give him the choice.  Works great.

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM

When my daughter was younger i would use her time out timer and make cleaning her room a game.  I would set the timer at 10 minutes and give her a task and she would see if she could beat the timer.  

After trying to take toys and privlages away and still not getting anywhere. i heard a mom on the radio talking about what she did so i tried it and what a differance.  When i ask Kylie to do something and she decides not to but then askes me to do something for her like take her to the pool or something like that i tell her" i'm sorry, i can't do that for you, because you would not clean your room for me." It takes a few times but she finally got it and it works pretty well.   

Celtic_Dragon
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM

We don't really have a yard, so it's hard on me because I have to load up my infant daughter and drive to the park everyday so my son doesn't stay indoor all day long. Sometimes, we go to the splash pad where he can get wet and play at the park, but those are special days and he has to earn them. Unfortunately, my four year old is getting a little smarter and he's turned around and told me that he doesn't wanna go to the water park if he has to clean his room. Of course, he really DOES wanna go to the water park, but he really DOESN'T wanna clean his room. So I just turned around and told him, "Okay, well that's your choice if you wanna go to the water park or not, but you don't have a choice about cleaning your room and you're not allowed out of your room until you start cleaning it." No kid likes to be grounded to his room, but I was making it clear that he doesn't have a choice. . .

Now his room was overwhelmingly messy. So I went into his room to "help" him, but I wasn't really helping. I was just directing. I turned it into a game. First, collect all the big toys (toys that did not fit into the toy box) and put onto the bed. Then, find all the dinosaurs and put them into their special bucket. Then collect all the toys he doesn't play with a lot and put them into the toy box. All the toys that are his favorites went into the little bins on top of his toy box so they are more easily accessible and he doesn't have to tear everything outta the toy box to get to them and deal with another mess. Then he picked up any garbage and threw it away and I vacuumed. After that we lined up the big toys along the wall and he helped me make his bed. We still need to organize his bookshelf, cause he's got a TON of stories, but otherwise his room is clean now and he did all the cleaning. I just helped him by turning it into a game and it was fun for him. And we were able to go to the splash pad today. :)

baby

babies
Mrs.Katie
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM

We make it a game for my 2 year old...its the "pick up" game and we "race" to see who can put the toys away first!!

me-n-mygirls
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Quoting MissiHampt:

I ask my son if he'd like to pick up his toys or if he'd like me to pick them up for him.  If I pick them up, they go in the trash.  He knows this and I've only actually had to do it once.  Now I just smile and give him the choice.  Works great.

yep same thing here.....I do it or you do I've also thrown them away and a few I put in the closet and brought them out after months of hiding and it was like a new toy and they forgot why they lost it

or it's a game to see who can pick up the most toys in a small amount of time.  doesn't work often but sometimes it does.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)