Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Solids on a 4 Month Old

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi everyone, I was curious if anyone had any advise on starting solids.  I have read many articles about this but I want real mom advise.  My daughter is 16 weeks and she has been getting rice in her bottle since last month only at night. She reacted well to it and has been getting very anxious when my husband and I eat.  We decided today to try to mash up some banana and give it to her and see what her reaction was.  She loved it!  Do any moms have advice about how old they started their babies and what they started them on.  I would love the input and see what other moms are doing with their little ones.  Thanks so much.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM

My first step would be to put the rice cereal on a spoon and get her eating that way.

Loved4Sure
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I personally wouldn't give my infant cereal before 5 or 6 months. It has been clinically documented that kids get full from the cereal but they can't absorb the nutrients because their bodies are not able. The more full they are from the cereal the less formula or breast milk they drink, so they get even less essential vitamins and fats they need for brain growth.

Good luck with what you have already implemented!

Parkermomma44
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Just take your time only introduce new foods every 3 days or so, so you know if she has a bad reaction to anything. Have fun! They are so funny when they try new things the faces are priceless lol. I started a few table spoons of Gerber baby food like peas and bananas at 4 months to.  

sarahfreethy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I started Peyton on rice cereal when she was 14 weeks! She took to it very well!! So when she turned 16 weeks, I started her on Stage 1 fruits and veggies!!! She takes it very well!!! You can always try and your little one will let you know if it is time or not!!! Good luck and enjoy this milestone!! I know I did!!!!

I finally feel whole!! I have the love of my life and our precious princess, Peyton Janelle!!! in lovebaby girl

mlmartinez
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:27 PM

first step is to put nothing but milk in the bottle!

solids should always be served with a spoon and if she has been taking the rice good then start with the yellow/orange foods stage 1 baby foods one flavor at a time and wait 3-5 days before introducing a new one (in case of food allergies).  try to save the fruits for last as they are sweeter and then your LO may not eat the veggies lol

good luck!

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM

My daughter started at 3 1/2 months at her pediatricians recommendation.  Kylie was drinking so much milk at that point and still seemed hungry so we started with the cereal and then i think we did stage one fruit and then vegetables.  It's been six years i honestly can't remember the exact order but we added thing slowly when they doctor told us to.  She gave us a schedule on when to start what so i would talk to your pediatrician and see what s/he says.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:45 PM

After 2 weeks of my son nursing 45 minutes out of every hour and screaming in hunger the other 15 minutes we started him on rice cereal (with his doctors urging) at 3 1/2 months.  Then we went to veggies.  i always made my own with organic produce so I knew exactly what he was getting.  We would give him one veggie for 5 days before trying a new one.

modelmom04
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Quoting Parkermomma44:

Just take your time only introduce new foods every 3 days or so, so you know if she has a bad reaction to anything. Have fun! They are so funny when they try new things the faces are priceless lol. I started a few table spoons of Gerber baby food like peas and bananas at 4 months to.  

I agree with her.  When you introduce foods give a few days to make sure there is no allergic reaction that way you know what it was that caused it.  I always started with cereals and when I knew what fruits they could have I would mix that so that it had flavor. 

wright4
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM

i'd speak with pedi. first my baby is 7 now but when he was about 5-6 months old we tried the same thing and it made him extremely constipated we had to stop

JazzysWifey
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM

personally i'd never start that early. we didnt start solids until 6 months. it's really recommended they not start that early...

preview image
Carrie: I'm a BFing, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, college educated, military supporting, gay marriage supporting, foreign language teaching, open-minded Mommy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)