Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for SAHMommas!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM
  • 20 Replies

I have been a stay at home mommy for 4 years. I only worked for a few months in those 4 months and it about killed me only cause my dh was deployed and I felt bad. Anyway I got 2 wonderful kids who are driving me up the wall sometimes. They are 4 and 15 months old and my dd will be starting pre-k on the 8th of sept for a few hours a day mon-fri. Anyway my question is how do you keep yourselves from going crazy sometimes?? We are usually at home everyday, all day long unless its sunday or I make a short trip to my moms. I get so down and depressed cause I stay inside alot too. We live on a busy street so I am worried about letting them out to play and no good backyard either. So again any ideas from the SAHM's to keep me from going stircrazy in my own home would be great. 

I am Racheal a 25 yr old SAHM married to Adam for 5 yrs. I have 2 kids Riley-4 yrs and Aidan-15 mon. I know I am not a perfect mom, I spank when needed, use disposable diapers, FF, forward faced at 1 yr old, use the CIO method, and I don't cosleep but I love my kids more than anything and will do what I see is fit for them.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AppleDaisy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I feel for you mommy.  My 3 year old has been acting up A LOT lately and some days it's just tomuch.  I am in the same boat as you...backyard isn't reallya backyard and we also live on a very busy street.  We have a nice spray park down the street so I try to take her there when I can and let run and play with other kids, we go for a walk to the corner store for a treat or we take our old camera and go walking and she takes pictures of all the things she finds interesting.  I try to go fo a 15 minute tan once a week or every two weeks. It's only 15 minutes but it's 15 minutes all to myself in a relaxing environment where NO ONE can bug me lol

Hang in there mommy!!!

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:50 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

SAHM Groups

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I have a 3 year old and a 15 month old. My 3 year old does preschool 2 days a week from 9-1. I go crazy when she's gone! Its just too quiet. I also live in a small town/county and havent lived here long...no family nearby and just one friend. I get lonely as well. The parks around here are nasty so we dont really do that...I dont know what I do to keep from going crazy...Luckily we have a great big fenced in backyard with a playset, pool, and hot tub...but its just as boring taking them out there alone as being inside alone. We just do activities in the house, watch tv and movies, run errands or just take drives.

It can get boring but I wouldnt have it any other way. I just couldnt work and let someone else watch my kiddos (unless we NEEDED me to work...luckily we dont). Try to find playgroups or other moms to hang out with...Look on CafeMom for moms nearby, and try to start your own playgroup. Thats always fun!

My name is Erin and I'm Happily married to Matt. We have 2 beautiful children, Kylie (6-13-06) and Lucas (5-23-08), and we're TTC our 3rd and last baby.

charlene_kyle
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I am also a stay at home mom. I have a 2.5yr old son and a almost 14 month old daughter. I just try to come up with lots of activity's to do during the day. We finger paint, color, bake. I have also made my kids many learning games which we play everyday. I normally try to keep them busy. Good Luck

gavin423
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Hubby works long hours and we only have the one car, so a lot of times (unless doing running with my mom) I'm stuck at home. When I really get to feeling stir-crazy, I plop my little man in the stroller and go for a walk. Whether we just walk or we walk to a park, either way we are getting the heck out of the house and I feel WAY better by the time I get home. It's a really good refresher, great exercise, and DS LOVES going for walks.

jamiekait
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:00 PM

My dh works long hours and we are home a lot! I only have one child so it might be easier to get out then with 2 but we go on walks everyday sometimes twice a day! I'm worried about winter coming though and what we are going to do! I also attend a mom's group twice a week, I look forward to that each week! Try searching for any mom's groups that might be in your area!

PreciousHead
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:05 PM

i can totally relate to this. Ok first things first...GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!!! LOL!! Try taking your kids to a park and have a picnic or just take them to a park. Another thing to try is to take them on walks. If u have a double stroller load up the kids with snacks and something to drink and go for a walk. If you know anyone in your neighborhood call them and ask if they would like to join you.

If your mom is able to, ask her if she can watch the little ones so you can do what u wanna do and have some "me" time. Very important. Go to a movie or something. Even if its alone. My mom goes out to a movie and lunch by herself all the time and I do it too when i have someone to watch the kids. Its another way to have that "me" time all mommies need. Dont worry if u look like a loner cuz ur the only one thinking that...lol.

Some grocery stores and walmarts, etc have magazines at the front doors that have stuff thats going on in your city that is free or cheap for you and your kids to do. Also check the newspaper or go online. Go to your local library cuz most times they have activities going on for your little ones like story time. Also check the YMCA or the one on base if they have one. They usually have stuff going on like mommie and me classes.

The more you get your kids out the house the happier everyone will be. Kids need stuff to do because if they stay inside for too long they get frustrated and start acting out. Also make sure u get your "me" time in for yourself. If you dont you will be frustrated too.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

armywife9
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I did try a SAHM group but NO ONE responded at all in over a day so that kinda hurt my feelings and I LOVE this group so I figured there would be at least a few SAHMs who could answer my questions. Thanks

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

SAHM Groups

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

I am Racheal a 25 yr old SAHM married to Adam for 5 yrs. I have 2 kids Riley-4 yrs and Aidan-15 mon. I know I am not a perfect mom, I spank when needed, use disposable diapers, FF, forward faced at 1 yr old, use the CIO method, and I don't cosleep but I love my kids more than anything and will do what I see is fit for them.

armywife9
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Thanks to everyone for responding with such great ideas and encouragment. I am definetly going to try to get out more I am starting to get headaches again I think some fresh air would be nice especially since it isnt quite as hot as it has been lately. Again thanks and if anyone else wants to add some other advice, tips or anything else feel free to I am always open to new suggestions.

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I am the same I am pretty much inside the house our outside in the yard. So now that my son is in daycare. I am going to go back to school so I can get out and start doing stuff for me to.But when my son is home with me for whatever reason he did not have daycare.We either go for a nice walk to the canteen and have a lunch together or we walk to the park or we do a explore walk where he needs to find diffrent things from nature and then we come home and do a craft out of the stuff he finds I find this at least give us something diffrent to do instead of the same thing day in and day out. Rainny days or cold winter days we do a movie and bake something or do some kind of craft together.  I know you said the parks are nasty where you are so mabey just the nature walk. But mabey if you join a mommy group in your area you may find someone that has children that are your childrens age with a backyard because then you get another freind and so do your kids and they have someplace you feel comfortable with them playing. I wish they had stuff like that around my area but I live in a small village and do not speak the language so well. That is the other reason I am going back to school so then mabey I will meet some other people or make a new freind since I only have SO familie around. Well anyways sorry about rambling about my crap. I hope these ideas help you. GOOD LUCK.

Mom to one amazing little boy Zachary.

LIFE IS LIKE A ROLLERCOASTER SO SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE RIDE CALLED LIFE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)