Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No fear of cars?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is 19 months old and we don't drive as we live in a big city. We use a stroller most of the time and as a result my son has no fear of cars.. He automatically assumes that they will stop if we walk out. Now that he is walking proficiently I want to drop the stroller and start walking short distances like the store across the street. Immediately upon leaving out the door he refuses to hold my hand and walks straight up the side walk towards the busy road!!! I just use the stroller more often than not because its easier.. Any suggestions on how to get him more walking friendly? Or is he just to young yet and I should continue explaining the risks while he is safe in the stroller?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:46 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Toddler Moms
All about Toddlers

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

jayden_smama
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:29 PM

personally I would keep using the stroller and maybe just keep explaining to him that you have too look both ways before you cross a road, My son picked this up pretty quickly and he will even remind me now lol. 19 months isn't too old for a stroller.

CafeMom Tickers

pinkNprissy
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Hi There

It is preferrable by health professionals that you walk with your baby when you can, as apposed to using a stroller all the time, to help with keeping fit and learning to walk with rules, such as holding hands, walking in a straight line at school, etc. 

Keep the stroller as back up for long distances when he gets tired or in the mall when you are doing a lot of walking.  Before you set out for your walk, prepare him by  explaining the rules of holding hands. 

In the event that he tries to wiggle away from you explain to him that kids have to hold their parents hands when they walk, if not, he has to go back in the stroller or stay at home. Doing this from as early an age as possible will produce a child who will always hold your hand, and one who will not feel safe if he doesn't. It also keep you from being controlled by a stroller or an older child, too big for a stoller,  that is not accustomed to safe walking by holding hands.

Work at every day and be strict with the rules.  Be prepared through the process to have to turn around and go back home if he keeps trying to wiggle away.  He has to  know you are serious with your threats.

My daughter holds my hand the instant we step out for walking or getting out the car. It is the way we travel on foot together, and the way I secure her safety as best I can. It is a very good habit to get into and also help keep you and baby getting exercise, or extra exercise if you already work out regularly.

Cheers

LoreleiSieja
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Not all children will hold hands!  I don't care how well you explain the rules to them.  Some children are just born more strong-willed than others, and it doesn't mean that the parents is permissive, lazy, or stupid.  She just has a child with a very definite personality.  Some people politely call these children "spirited".  Others may call them "spoiled" but I don't think that is the case.

My granddaughter is such a spirited child.  Her mother was, as well, although I had four children and the other three were all very laid back, casual, generally complient kids.  The only suggesting I could give a mother of a spirited child, who will not hold her hand, and is too young to fully understand the danger of traffic, is to get and use a child harness. 

Some people think they are cruel and inhumane.  Some parents think they are life-savers! And if it will save your child's life, then it is worth it's weight in solid gold.

Lorelei

www.raisingcreativechildren.com

Nurturning Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Katy_Lentz
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

You are responsible for protecting your child-it is a step forward when your 'baby' can finally walk beside you without worrying about lugging a stroller around! You have to MAKE him hold your hand! No letting go, no letting him run out in front of you, and especally no going back because you don't want to piss him off by him pitching a fit. He WILL throw fits in the beginning-it's a change that has boundries. But it will pass and it will be worth it in the end:)

God Bless

I am a SAHM to 2 adorable little boys-Austin Lee(2) and Elijah Kaid(3mo.)! I am also the wife of an amazing man who works his tush off to provide for us-Curtis Lee! I am a Christian who tries my hardest to not judge! My life is anything but easy and I love it:) I stay positive so I can always be someone that friends can turn to when they need to smile! My Husband is my best friend, my kids are my pride and joys, and my friends can always be counted on!

'Life isn't about waiting on the storm to pass, it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain'

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I am pretty sure the have those harnesses now that look like a teddy bear or something that the child will like and it pretty much looks like a back pack but with a strap for you to hold on to so they can not get to far. I do not know if that is something you want to try just an idea. Sorry I can not really relate to the big city and I live on a dead end road so I never had to worry about it to much.  What I did with him to get him to hold my hand when we did go into town and in the busy parking lots.  I would tell him if he wanted to be a big boy he had to hold my hand our his daddy`s and if he could not do that he would be carried like a baby since he wanted to act like a baby and not listen. Since my son does not really like to be carried around to much this worked. GOOD LUCK

Mom to one amazing little boy Zachary.

LIFE IS LIKE A ROLLERCOASTER SO SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE RIDE CALLED LIFE

brettsmomma
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Yes my son is a free spirit lol We have a monkey back pack harness but he throws a fit when he cant go some where.. I agree and will try the advice to walk with him everyday and teach him.. See I walk everyday to and from the bus.. But I am not going to try at those times.I am rushed and on a strict time limit lol  I am going to let him walk to the park. We go everyday after work. Thanks so much for the advice :)  

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:36 AM

All you can really tell him is cars can give you a big owie. Car Owwwwwwwwww. No road, No cars. Until they can understand details like a car can hit you and hurt you and maybe kill you.......that is all you can do. My oldest was the same way. Also when you are walking point out when you stop to look for cars so you do not get an owie.

ProudArmyWife85
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 1:01 AM

my son is the same way!! well, hes 3 now, but we have the arness for him and i will never leave house without it!!! he will hold my hand, but like if we are standing in line, i cant expect him to stand there and be still, so it geives him a little freedom, but i still have ahold of him so he wont get hurt....

my son walking with his daddy, it just looks like a back pack!!

it is VERY strong too!! my grandma wont let him get away with anything!! he has to have it on when he goes to her house!!! lol

all in all i love the harness!! it keeps him safe and thats what is important!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)