Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Background checks on Nannies

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

Have any of you performed background checks on potential babysitters/nannies?

If so: where, how, and what did it cost?

Thanks!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM

You can go to your local courthouse it is a matter of public record I dont remember if you have to pay for it or not but I know you can get it there. 

SimplyPeggy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:42 PM

they will run a background check there? really? wow..

THANKS!! i'll call there in the morning!

Quoting laurag8707:

You can go to your local courthouse it is a matter of public record I dont remember if you have to pay for it or not but I know you can get it there. 

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM

your welcome all you have to do is just go up there and you can see if they have ever been arrested or anything like that you can see everything except what they did as a minor since most of that stuff is sealed in most states not sure about yours.

Quoting SimplyPeggy:

Quoting laurag8707:

LilahandElliot
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I've had mine run when I worked as a nanny, but I've never run one. The people who hired me went through enannysource but you can also go to sites like this http://www.ussearch.com/consumer/index.do?&adID=027-0000000249&adsource=27&TID=1&searchtab=background&mkwid=S8Lm4BNU2&pcrid=4385277367

and get it for as low as $20

swizzlefiz
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:15 AM

My employers always got them through the site they found me on.  enannysource.com or gonannies.com  I did have to sign consent forms to have them run.  They printed the form from the website.

BROOKLYNN2008
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I DID MANY YEARS AGO,  SHE TURNED OUT TO BE NUTS...  I ONLY CONTACTED HER REFRENCES, TURNED OUT THEY WERE ALL BOGUS...

I WOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPT, AND ASK THEM...THEY WILL TELL YOU WHO TO CONTACT AND SOMETIMES THEY WILL DO THE BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR YOU...

GOOD LUCK...

LISA

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I believe, though, that if you only go to your county or city courthouse, they can only tell you if they have been arrested in that county or state. It does not cover their entire criminal background, only local arrests.

Quoting laurag8707:

your welcome all you have to do is just go up there and you can see if they have ever been arrested or anything like that you can see everything except what they did as a minor since most of that stuff is sealed in most states not sure about yours.

Quoting SimplyPeggy:

Quoting laurag8707:

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

NFLplayerswife
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:51 PM

We use http://www.intelius.com/ to background our housekeepers and nannies. It costs about $40.

Loved4Sure
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:53 PM

4nannies.com has a document you can use without joining, I believe.

I used that site for years when I worked as one.

You can also request that potential nannies compile driving information, credit check, list of all residents etc. You can even request fingerprints for the ones yotu are really interested in. I don't know how much finger prints are in other states. You can ask her to get hers done with the promise to refund her cost after she has been in your employ a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck! 

canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I would also call your local cps office and see if they have had complaints on them. Where I live they will tell you that info. I would request referances from the person and make sure to check them all. I would also (this will sound silly) google. We have a public access system in our county that anyone can access anything, even records for under 18, or exponged. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)