Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

could it be PCOS? [piog]

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

i have had this problem for awhile......imnot sure if it is PCOS but i do have some of the symptoms.....i dont have irregular periods...but they are very heavy and painful. they are 34 days apart thou....

the number 1 thing i am worried about with my body thou is very bad acne (i am 21 and STILL get it bad) and excessive hair body hair, i have always had it (starting at teens) and just thought it was normal for some

i talked to my dermatologist about this a few months ago and she just blew me off, told me that acne is common at age 21 and its prob not a hormone problem.....is there any doctor, or type of doctor that i should talk to about this..???

right now i am pregnant and i know they cant do much but what do u suggest????

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM

I have PCOS and it took me a while to get diagnosed because doctors kept blowing me off.  I actually had one tell me it was all in my head.  I enjoyed calling his office and telling him off once i was offically diagnosed.  I talked with my ob-gyn about this and she ran some blood tests and sure enough.  Don't give up,  keep pushing until they listen.

LeahJ
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM

there's a pcos group on cm that has a lot of great info.  how's your weight? did you have a difficult time getting pregnant. do you actually have a lot of cysts on your ovaries? i was diagnosed with pcos when i couldn't get pregnant with my second child. i wasn't ovulating anymore. i needed fertility meds. my ovaries also are pretty much always covered with cysts. last summer i had one so large, it was in danger of rupturing and i had to have surgery to remove it. i still get really bad acne and i'm 40. i'm not sure if they can "test" for it while you're pg because your hormones are already not "normal" if you know what i mean. :) i was diagnosed by my gyn when i couldn't get pg. i've always had "hormone problems" like nasty nasty hormone related migraines, bad pms, etc. i'd say once you're done with the baby (congrats!) talk to your gyn about it.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/70775

My imaginary friend thinks you have serious issues....

K.a.C.87
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:52 PM

thanks hun!!! i am asking my OB at my next appt (the 14th) but im not sure what she could do with me being pregnant.....i really think it is something STILL having acne and the weird body hair! lol

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I have PCOS and it took me a while to get diagnosed because doctors kept blowing me off.  I actually had one tell me it was all in my head.  I enjoyed calling his office and telling him off once i was offically diagnosed.  I talked with my ob-gyn about this and she ran some blood tests and sure enough.  Don't give up,  keep pushing until they listen.

K.a.C.87
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM

my weight is a normal thing. i am average weight for my height.....with my dd it didnt take long (1month) but with this pregnancy it took me 8 months....which isnt long really

Quoting LeahJ:

there's a pcos group on cm that has a lot of great info.  how's your weight? did you have a difficult time getting pregnant. do you actually have a lot of cysts on your ovaries? i was diagnosed with pcos when i couldn't get pregnant with my second child. i wasn't ovulating anymore. i needed fertility meds. my ovaries also are pretty much always covered with cysts. last summer i had one so large, it was in danger of rupturing and i had to have surgery to remove it. i still get really bad acne and i'm 40. i'm not sure if they can "test" for it while you're pg because your hormones are already not "normal" if you know what i mean. :) i was diagnosed by my gyn when i couldn't get pg. i've always had "hormone problems" like nasty nasty hormone related migraines, bad pms, etc. i'd say once you're done with the baby (congrats!) talk to your gyn about it.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/70775

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:32 AM

She can probably go ahead and run the tests but if it comes back that you are, you would probably have to wait until after the baby is born or your done breastfeeding to start on any meds if that is needed.

Quoting K.a.C.87:

thanks hun!!! i am asking my OB at my next appt (the 14th) but im not sure what she could do with me being pregnant.....i really think it is something STILL having acne and the weird body hair! lol

Quoting KyliesMom5:

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM

I would go to an endocrinologist(sp?). There is a wider range of testing there.  

swizzlefiz
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Mine was diagnosed by internal sonogram.  They found a "string of pearls" in my ovaries.  Its all the cysts that have built up.  I have all the other symptoms too.  My GYN was sure I had it before the sonogram.

momoftwins240
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I have all the same things going on that you mentioned, with the exception of being almost 44 instead of only 21.  LOL!  It started after I had my girls 11 years ago.

I went to my OB/GYN and she did all the blood tests and they came back negative for PCOS but just to be on the safe side she sent me to an endocrynologist.  Those tests also came back negative.  I am still trying to figure out what the issue is.  I should not be able to grow a damn beard, nor should I have such painful periods if nothing in hormonally off within my body. 

mommytoG
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM

They said that I signs of it. But was your acne and body hair the same before you got pregnat or after?

I had really bad acne with my son, and have had a few spots with this one. When I was preggo with my son, I hair (well peach fuzz) come up on my face, and it seemd like I needed to shave everyday. But my Dr. Said its from the vitamins. They make your hair grow faster and thicker. Plus I think I read in my What to expect book that someone women all of a sudden have hair grow or come in thicker in places there wasnt hair before.

I  hope you get some answers though

Quoting K.a.C.87:

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Get your free online pregnancy calendar from WhatToExpect.com
bean06162004
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:17 PM

It doesn't sound like PCOS. PCOS symptoms include: facial hair, problems with being overweight, irregular periods, and fertility issues. I would definitely talk to your gynecologist about the heavy periods though, maybe it's something else.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)