Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't keep my baby on his back

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:33 AM
  • 6 Replies

So my 3 month old has decided that he can roll over onto his belly now!! Good right..well now that's how he wants to sleep and the only way he wants to sleep. I've heard that since he can pick up his head, than he can move it when he can't breathe. But I've also been told about carbon dioxide poisoning from breathing in such a small spot on the sheet. I've asked my pediatrician and she said to roll up sheets and put them under his sheet to create a barrier, i tried it and it didn't work...he just flipped over inbetween them and cryed cuz he couldn't move. Please give me any suggestions, I feel like I've tried everything and he always ends up on his tummy. It freaks me out!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cmb121906
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Once they can get on their tummy, there really isn't anything you can do. You can flip them back all you want, but two minutes later they are back on their belly LOL. It's nerve racking to say the least, but I guess we have to deal with it :) Don't stress too much about something you cannot control. Beleive me, I was a total mess about it when my two started doing it.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown!

rebecca_tal4
by Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM

i thought that once babies have learned to roll over the risk of sids goes WAY down.

xotee2006
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:44 AM

My DD ONLY sleeps on her stomach.. since she was a couple weeks old. I freaked.. .. i thought she HAD to sleep on her back.  well she's 4 months old and still sleeps onher belly. she rolls like your son.  she rolls to her back and screams b/c she doesn't liek it. lol.  i say if he is comfortable let him be..  check on him. make sure his face isn't smushed into anything

have only a crib sheet inthe crib, no toys, noblankets..etc..  nothing he can suffocate on..  thats what i do with my DD and she is fine. it took some time to  get sued to and not check on her every 2 mins. 

mamakenzi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:00 AM

If he can get on his belly he will be fine, just don't put anything in the crib with him and make sure the sheet is tight where he can't pull it up around his face.

Kenzie

Stay at home mommy, smoking, neat freak, living life to the fullest, creative, young, soon to be Navy wife, mommy to a Princess, type of mother!

claytonsmommy12
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:06 AM

My son is a tummy sleeper, even to this day. I started letting him sleep on his stomach at 1 month. He slept in the bedroom with us so I was constantly checking on him. I didn't have any toys or blankets or even the bumper on the crib. There is a device that you can use if you're really worried about it. It's pricey, but it alerts you when there isn't 20 seconds of breathing. It's called Angel something. I think they sell it at Babies R Us. During the daytime, I gave my son a lot of tummy time to strengthen his neck muscles so he can move his head when he slept on his stomach. As long as you check on him, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

mymichelle2002
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:07 AM

carbon monoixe. hmmm That's a new excuse I haven't heard. UGH!

Leave him be. He'll turn over when he wants too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)