Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

circumcision?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM
  • 22 Replies

ok well i found out i am having a boy yay! i have had the idea in my head for quite sometime if i did have a boy i would not circumsize him.... well all i have gotten was negative reactions from people... i will have it done no matter what anyone says... but i am curious y so many people have it done? I have read the history on it and why it had first begun and to me cutting off part off a males lil p p to keep him from masturbating which they believed would lead to insanity just boggles my mind something that started because of false beliefs would continue to this day...  i have also read more reasons more up to date for it and now it seems it is very uncommon that it would need to be done(for even medical purposes)... so my question is why do people continue to mutilate these poor little pee pees? I personally could not do it to my son it reminds me of an anthropology class where they circumsized women for similar reasons to decrease her sex drive and some went as far as sowing up the whole area... i just dont understand how something so cruel and unusual could b still practiced in the united states when female circumcision (which can vary from minor to major) can not b? In both cases they lose most if not all the sensitivity 75% in males and have had more problems getting it done than just leaving alone a natural part of their body? I just have to see what the reasons are because i just coudlnt do it. Many of my friends have told me they did it to make their sons "fit in"...anyways im just looking for answers to y parent allow this to happen to their sons? ouch!

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Religious reasons for one. And my son is circ'd. He did not cry after having it done, did not seem to be in any pain at all. And basically it was mostly my husbands decision, so obviously if a circ'd man wants his son to be done it must not be all that bad. Any why does it matter what other people do with their children? Unless they are abusing or neglecting them I don't think it matters.

miss_kali
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:30 AM

I think someone posted that it is proven it is more clean..
I did it to my boys because I believe it is more clean. I didn't do it to prevent them from masturbating ..etc..That is crazy!
Both of my sons slept through the whole thing, it didn't bug them at all. Yeah, I was worried it would hurt them but in the long run for us, it was what we thought was best. And that's all you can do. At the end of the day it's about YOUR beliefs and doing what is best for you. Not about pleasing others. If people don't like your decision for your son, oh well!

mamakenzi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:31 AM

I agree, and I have also heard for hygienic reasons, I have a little girl so not an authority on the topic.

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

Religious reasons for one. And my son is circ'd. He did not cry after having it done, did not seem to be in any pain at all. And basically it was mostly my husbands decision, so obviously if a circ'd man wants his son to be done it must not be all that bad. Any why does it matter what other people do with their children? Unless they are abusing or neglecting them I don't think it matters.

Kenzie

Stay at home mommy, smoking, neat freak, living life to the fullest, creative, young, soon to be Navy wife, mommy to a Princess, type of mother!

erika_wright
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:33 AM

the belief that it would prevent masturbation is more of a middle age thing, but it began long before then as a covenant between God and the Jewish people. over the course of history, the reasoning has changed many times.

like you said, they believed once that it would prevent masturbation (and i think we can all agree that it doent). they believed masturbation lead not only to insanity, but to other physical diseases.

since then there have been reports going back and forth between it being healthier, and it being completely unnecesary. and in a few years it will probably change again.

i believe that no matter what your sttance on it, it is YOUR decision and no one should belittle you for your choice.

Mommy to Elliot Marylyn (born 12/18/07), and Wife to Jerry Blaine (married 5/19/07), TTC baby #2! And SOOO happy with my LIFE!

cantthinkofsn
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:36 AM

did iever mention abuse in the matter? i dont think so i just am curious different perspectives i dont understand y everytime anyone posts anything on this site it gets turned around and everyone is so unpleasant when im not trying to b i was just so surprised and where im at barely anyone doenst get it done and does not have a reason for it i dont care what other people think of it i was just surprised by teh reacitons i got so i decided to ask and inform some of things most people dont bother to research omg!

mlg87ok
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Well all I have is girls so I really don't know. I have thought about what I might do if I ever have a boy but honestly, I am still not sure on what I would do and am undecided. My husband is circumcised and said that if we had a boy he would like him to be circumcised because he wouldn't want his son feeling like he was different or asking why his penis looks different but says the final decision would be up to me.

cantthinkofsn
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM

yeah i had also heard about the diseases and non existent ones too its just strange to me because before i researched i thought there was like a really good reason to get it done i was just so shocked and after my friend told me she got it done to get her kid to fit in i was jus like wow because that was the last thing even on my mind

mamakenzi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Well religious reason is a really good reason, hygienic reason would be another good one.  In the end, all that matters is how you feel, the "experts" are going to change their mind in a few years anyways and everyway we parent now will be wrong.  So just do what you feel is right.

Quoting cantthinkofsn:

yeah i had also heard about the diseases and non existent ones too its just strange to me because before i researched i thought there was like a really good reason to get it done i was just so shocked and after my friend told me she got it done to get her kid to fit in i was jus like wow because that was the last thing even on my mind

Kenzie

Stay at home mommy, smoking, neat freak, living life to the fullest, creative, young, soon to be Navy wife, mommy to a Princess, type of mother!

Amybelle
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:43 AM

OVER 80% of the worlds Male Population is NOT, I repeat NOT Circumsized. It is NOT necessary

cantthinkofsn
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM

yeah with me i believe the choice is his own if he gets to b of age and wants to snip snip then go right ahead i just dont think it should b a decision made for him but that is just me i know i would have a problem with it because it is something that can not just grow back and as for not hurting i dont know about that lol the most sensitive part of his lil guy bein cut off my friend had gotten it done and they actually strapped him down i really was shocked by that and she stil stands by it but to each their own ir just makes me cringe!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)