Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IUD?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:57 AM
  • 6 Replies

OK, my DH and I don't want to have anymore kids... but because I will probably be the only one with health insurance out of the two of us (applying for medicaid), I'm thinking an IUD might be a good choice. We had originally planned for him to have a vacectomy.

Here is my concern: When My oldest was born my OBGYN described an IUD as basically not allowing the egg to attach.. well being as I believe life begins at fertilization (not implantation) I didn't want an IUD, instead I went on NuvaRing and it caused pretty bad depression for me.

So now, my baby boy is almost 4 weeks old - and I'm at this cross roads again. I've been doing research and from what I've read it's saying there is no reasearch to backup it not allowing a fertilized egg to attach, but rather is supposed to stop the sperm from reaching the egg.

Does anyone know? Any Advice or thoughts? NuvaRing is the only other birth control I've ever been on - and like I said it caused depression for me... anyone know if an IUD would do the same thing?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sunshinepixie
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:14 AM

I dont know about the other IUD's but the Mirena is suppose to stop you from ovulating and prevent the sperm from getting to an egg if it happens to be released. With that said I have a 5.5 month old baby boy that I conceived with the Mirena IUD.. sooo like everything it's not 100%.

LilypieLilypieLilypieLilypie
miss_kali
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:43 AM

I have Mirena and I hate it...
Why not get your tubes tied?

Mrs_Hill09
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:25 AM

AN IUD IS PRETTY COOL...ME AND ONE OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS HAVE IT AND THE ONLY THING IS THAT IT GIVES YOU MOOD SWINGS BUT IT IS REALLY SAFE AND A REALY GOOD USE OF BIRTH CONTROL

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

medical questions

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

LilahandElliot
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 2:14 AM

BUMP

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 2:38 AM

i have the Mirena, my cousin and several other people i know have it as well

we have never had any problems with, never had any 'accidental' pregnancies, etc..and i havent had a period since about the 2nd month i had it

i LOVE this! no mood swings, no cramping...its like pre-puberty! LOL

sometimes i will get very light spotting when i am due for my period, but its so light, i dont have to wear anything down there

go online and google it, talk to real people(not JUST us on Cafe mom) try to get a good feel about the pros and the cons...i really recommend googling it and reading as much info as you can..also, your OB should have given you a pamphlet at the very least that explains the particular IUD you discussed. i got a pamphlet and a DVD for the Mirena

good luck! (oh...and i would definately NOT go back on ANYTHING that made me feel depressed...life is TOO short to feel that way!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)