Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Pierce or Not to Pierce

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is 7 months old and I would like to get her ears pierced. Is she to young or not.. What are the pros and cons of piercing young?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Godsgirl4ever06
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM

pros they dont mess with the earrings they cry for a minute and its over i got my dd's done at 6 months

I'm a bible beliving church going christian who spanks vax's cosleeps,NONcio,lets my child watch tv and works hard for my money mommy this is me take it or leave it

miss_kali
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I wouldn't do it until she is old enough to say she wants it..But that's just me. I believe a pediatrician can do it. Don't go somewhere like Clair's,Walmart,etc...Those places are so dirty!!

mamaof32007
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM

honestly if my twins would have been born at full term, my dd would have had hers done at 3 months.  but they were 11 weeks early so I waited until she was 7 months old.  It was great I left her in the car seat and it took a whole 3 seconeds, she didnt even cry!  I of course gave her the bottle but she was fine!  No infectionsor anything! 

StarsChildren
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I'd wait until she is old enough to say she wants it, and then I'd take her to a tattoo/piercing place. A good piercer can do it as quick as the piercing guns in stores, and they use surgical steal so she wont have an allergic reaction to any of the metals. I'd trust a tattoo parlor before I'd trust piercing to store employees.

lolamac
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

My daughter is 11 months old and she will get her ears pierced when she's 10yrs old and that is if she even wants it done.

Pros-.....uh..it's cute?

Cons-not giving the child their own choice

Unnecessary procedure for a child and it has no real benefits

Possibility of ripping out the earrings, infection, and swallowing/choking hazard. (which happened to a friends daughter who was a year at the time)

Possible allergic reaction

kids4ever515
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM

When is it safe to pierce my daughter's ears?

When is it safe to pierce my daughter's ears? Should I do it at the mall, or have a doctor do it?

Expert Answers

Meredith Goodwin, family practitioner

Some people pierce their children's ears when they're newborns and there's no medical reason to wait. But the procedure is not without risk.
Not all ear-piercing operations have the proper equipment or staff trained to work specifically with young children. For example, ear piercing guns cannot be sterilized, which means that it's possible to contract hepatitis or some other infection from them. If you're set on having your baby's ears pierced, it's probably safer to ask your pediatrician if she'll do it for you with a needle. And here's what else you should know before having the procedure done:

Ear piercing is usually done without painkillers because the piercing itself hurts less than a shot of anesthetic would. (You can give your baby a dose of infants' acetaminophen or ibuprofen before the procedure if you want.)

Another thing to remember is that your child will be constantly touching her ears and the pierced area can easily become infected. To help guard against this, you'll need to clean the posts and the area around the ear with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide several times a day (or as often as your doctor recommends). Watch for increased redness or tenderness around the piercing hole and on the earlobe that could indicate infection.

There's also a chance that your child will have an allergic reaction to metals after getting her ears pierced. If she develops a rash around the piercing, you'll need to take the earrings out. To avoid this, you can try to make sure that the parts of the earrings that touch her ear are made of surgical steel or 14 karat gold. (This includes not only the posts but the backs as well.) If the rash doesn't subside, your child will probably not be able to wear earrings

I would not do it I think you should let her make the decision.

lundaylove
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM

id do it. my girls were pierced at 6 and 9 months. they never played with them, no infections, no problems at all. and we got them pierced at the mall at piercing pagoda. they are not dirty as they use single use needles and everything is sterilized. You can sit there and watch them open everything. Ive had my ears done several times no problems.

Ashes711
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

My Mom had both mine and my sisters ears done when we were younger (8 and 12 months) well my sister and I are both glad that ours are done, in fact I got a 2nd whole when I was older. My sister thought she wanted to wait to get her daughters done until she was old enough to decide herself.  When my neice was 4 she decided that she wanted them done but when they got to the place she chickened out. My neice is now 6 and she still wants them done but every time they go she gets scared and still chickens out. 

My DD is 10 months and I had hers done when she was 4 months old; the other day my neice told her mom that she wished that she had gotten her ears pierced when she was a baby that way she wouldn't remember lol!!!   Most babies only cry for a min. or so HOWEVER my dd cried for longer than that and I felt horrible BUT they look so cute and I am very glad I had them done.

You are the mom and you do whatever you think is best!! =)            Good Luck

Jenia312
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM

It's OK to have them done at 7 months.  It's a very quick and simple procedure.  You have to be careful of where you go to for that.  Not all places are clean.

My 2 oldest girls had theirs done when they were 4 and 5 years old because they wanted to wear earrings.  My 3rd girl had hers pierced at 8 months. 

Miranda926
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I waited until my dd was 5 years old.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)