Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UGHHH ANTS!!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM
  • 9 Replies

Please help they have taken over my living room.  I can't take it! I hate bugs...ahhhhh!! I have tried stuff I read cinnamon, pepper.  Nothing has helped. We have someone coming to exterminate but I have been dealing with it all week.  I vacuumed 4x  yesterday. Can anyone help?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Skurvy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Is there any open spaces or cracks? If there is trying to seal them would help keeping them from coming in. Maybe moisture that may be attracting them? I had to deal with that a few yrs ago...But then we moved,we always had raid and that poison chalk. It helped

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM

My anatomy teacher told me that artificial sweeteners(like equal) will take care of them....shows you how bad aspertane(sp?) is  for us. 

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM

We used peppermint oil (actual essential oils, not scented oils) in a spray bottle with water. We put it around our deck and reapply every few days. They won't cross it for some reason.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

autumnsmommy02
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Just a note if you have anything in your livingroom with wood glue they will go right for it. It's sweet to them.

I learned that the hard way when my dd's room got infested this summer due to a wooden train table we had stored in her closet. I was surprised. I had no idea wood glue draws ants.

We took the table out and they're gone! :)

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:10 PM

When I got them in my kitchen I always used a bleach spray bottle. I also poured bleach down the ant hole. Maybe try Lysol spray since bleach would damage things.

tscritch
by Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Corn meal!! I got that from another post here on CM. I had some outside at our old house and they started coming in. I just sprinkled corn meal all around for a couple days and they were gone. Plus it's safe if kids or animals get into it! Good luck...ants suck!!!

Daintydecker
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Ants are allergic to chalk and it kills them.  If you can line the perimeter of where you don't want them at with chalk, it should help!

JSKA980405
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I will make a chalk mark along the front door outside, I use crushed up or whole bay leaves around my kitchen, I even heard if you sprinkle cornmeal around the ants will eat it and end up dying. I hope these tips helpgood

Aamy
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Spray Windex around the base boards and let air dry. The ammonia in the Windex, ants HATE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)