Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dominos driver

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

Okay so trying to make a long story short, my husband lost his job in Nov 08, finally found another job in Jan 09, got cellulitis at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb. and was hospitalized for two weeks. He lost the new job because of the hospitalization and not being about to work for total 1.5 months. He finally found a new job about 2 months ago but it is only part time and we are not making enough money to afford to live where we currently are because winter is fast approaching and it cost an ass ton to heat this very old house we live in. So I decided to try to pick up another part time job in addition to my part time medical transcription that I do from home. We I have a job offer to be a delivery driver for Dominosand I am scared. I am horrible with directions plus I am scared about getting robbed or something since I am female. I need to do this for the money since it is the only job I have actually been able to get. The cellulitis came back in both of my husbands legs this time, the first time it was only in his toe/foot. We caught it soon enough now that he is on antibiotics and trying to get better but is in a lot of pain which is why he is not finding another job. The Dominos is not in a bad area or anything actually its in one of the best areas around here. I dont know would you be scared? Should I just suck it up and take the job (which is what I am probably going to do because we seriously need the money).

LilypieLilypieLilypieLilypie
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tha-hawt-mommie
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I would be scared (in my area) the street i grew up on, the ice cream man,fed ex,and like every pizza place wasnt allowed to deliver there. w/i the last 6 months  , id say, theres been 4 pizza guys robbed here ... the last one was thrown against his car repeatedly bc the guy couldnt find the pouch the money was in. now at my apartment , 2 pizza places deliver. and if u are downstairs waiting for it (i do it for this 1 pizza guy bc he has trouble walking up 2 flights of stairs) u have to show id! ... even packages that dont need to be signed , NEED to be signed here ...

Pita_Dragonfly
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Depends  where you live.  Here no  big  deal.

If  its that  huge of  an area   i would buy a  GPS and put it the  car.   Get a  cheap one.

emmyandmadi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I totally get it I just applied to pizza hut with the same fears!!  I was a stay at home mom looking for part time work and my hubby worked full time now he is unemployed and we have nothing so If i get it I have to take it.  A GPS is definantly worth it but I think they have a computer now in the pizza places where they can mapquest the directions to the houses!  Just ask and see. If not and you have a cell phone you can call home or a friend with internet and have them mapquest it for you.  As for being scared of being robbed it happens i can't say it dont but usually the pizza places know if it's an area know for crime and often send 2 people.  Good luck with the job.  Maybe you won't have to do it long.

giffer
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM

my husband works for dominos at night & he worked for papa john's last yr for about 9 months til they got shut down.

anyway - first off, they have a huge map (the ones he has worked for) hanging on the wall & you can look up where you are going & write it down. they also (should) have a map website on their comuter for you to look up directions. that should help.

i understand about you not feeling safe - but, honestly - whether you're delivering pizzas or just driving home something could happen - as far as carjacking or something. but if you feel uneasy, you don't HAVE to put the topper on your car (unless your dominos has diff rules), then no one would know you had cash in your pocket & maybe wouldn't try to rob you. but i think they only let you carry change for a $20 anyway, so it's not like you have wads of cash in your pocket.

also, if there is an area you just don't like going to, you can tell them you don't wanna drive to that area & they are required to find someone else who does. if NO ONE will deliver to a certain area cuz it's unsafe or even just have hoodlem teens hanging around, they should take them off their delivery area list.

crap, my son just hit the coffee table. hope you get this figured out!

RorysMom119
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I wouldn't stress too much about it! I used to be a delivery driver for Pizza Hut when I was 17 or 18, and a LOT of my friends have delivered for one pizza place or another. Nobody I know has ever been robbed, nor has anyone they worked with been robbed. They have a LOT of precautions in place specifically for that situation, and you are trained in how to respond to a robber before you're allowed to deliver. And yes, they do have maps in the store where you can look up where you're going and all that. If you don't feel comfortable reading a map (I still got lost cuz the map wasn't always up-to-date), you can always just get GPS on your phone, it's only $10/mo w AT&T while you save for a GPS unit for your car. In case you're still uncomfortable, you can just make sure you cash out after every run (but that can get tedious, and difficult if the manager is busy). As for the precautions, they include stuff like, if the lights aren't on, don't deliver. And you have the phone # on the delivery ticket to call the customer for directions if you get lost. Either way, I hope you find something that helps, whether it's delivering pizza or something else!

Fostersforbeer
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM

i wouldnt be scared....

you can carry a can of mace with you up to each house.. just make sure you keep your doors locked at all times and just keep your eye out...

there is no reason to be scared.

have you tried starbucks? i love working for that company.. LOVE IT.

dfgsdf.jpg love and peace image by xogurlrockerox

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM

suck it up and let him take it in this economy its a job

I'm a bible beliving church going christian who spanks vax's cosleeps,NONcio,lets my child watch tv and works hard for my money mommy this is me take it or leave it  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)