Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm gonna make him wear a helmet in the house???

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM
  • 3 Replies

i feel awful. my 8 month old has been crawling for over a month now but recently started pulling himself up on the couch, chair, table, anything he can reach. i am usually right next to him and catch him if he is about to fall. sometimes i don't and he bangs the back or side of his head on the wood floor. i put down a huge mat but of course he doesn't stay on it. he is not happy unless he's getting into something. he is very hyper! so when i do housework or whatever, i put him in a pack n' play and pile toys in there. he screams the whole time, he wants out!  i feel so bad that he keeps bumping his head. he cries for a minute then is totally fine, smiling, jumping but i worry about it. can he get a concussion? or brain damage? i am told its normal for babies to get bumps and bruises when they first start moving on their own, but i am worried. what do you think? i feel stupid, like its my fault and i should keep him in the playpen all day but he hates that thing.....???

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
amber_1024
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM
Every child wants to roam around, and it is normal for them to get bumps and bruises. As long as he's acting normal after he bumps his head, it's ok. I know you want to protect your baby, but it's part of life.
mamad122
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:44 PM

He's more at risk for his muscles not developing correctly if he were in a playpen all day (b/c when he crawls and pulls up he's working those muscles) than he would be at risk of getting a concussion from toppling over. Just make sure he's not falling down a flight of stairs or something and he'll be just fine!

Pregnancy Ticker 

in love    toddler girl  expecting baby
 Jeremy & Nicole      Shae        Thane OR Joslin
       7-14-07          7-13-08
          12-21-09

mommywife06
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Its life! lol. Wait until he starts walking! My daughter had a black eye, scratch, and a ton of bruises! She walked into our coffee table the scratch went with it, and the bruises was from normal falls. He will. You can buy those bumper pads at walmart that helped cover sharp corners but you cant do much anything else. He is learning to move and he is learning to hurt himself. Its normal. As long as he is fine and moving and playing and crying, crying is always a good sign after a fall he is good  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)