Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ABOUT JR YEAR STRESS AND Not TAKING TENNIS?piog

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM
  • 4 Replies

My dd who is a jr in high school traveled one hundred miles last year  to do preseason tennis even though she had an injury.  She played tennis four hours every day this summer for fun!  She had an injured ankle from lacrosse--it had been broken and she needed therapy for months.  To do tennis at camp--which she initiated, we didn't--she did, she had to have her ankle iced three times daily.  She insisted upon doing it becuz she likes it.

Now she is home--she came home too late for preseason tennis so I had to spend hours and hours negotiating with the school to let her participate and try out.  She plays jv--the school has a top tennis team--and that's fine with us.

She adores lacrosse and want me to arrange off campus year round lacrosse for her.  It is hard as that entails a lot of traveling and is not even a sure thing.  It's hard to find.

Anyway, yesterday, her friends came over and they are all stressed out and dreaded junior year--because of sats, grade pressure and colege.

This is self imposed by my dd.  We don't care where she goes.  We just want her to go some where she is happy.  She is the one who feels it must be a good college.

She has battled a weight problem for several years--and can only stay healthy (weight wise) the doctor said who feared for her high cholesterol and prediabtes if she doesn't exercise. she won't do it on her own.

So she was going to be on the jv tennis team.  Now this morning--she woke up saying she is stressed already about school so she doesn't even want to do tennis which she loves--or likes second to lacrosse.  I feel she is foolish not to take this as her regular exercise.  We live in an urban area--where there is no way for teens to exercise.  So tennis takes care of that and helps fill out her reume if that is what she cares about in terms of getting into college.  She is very directed --she wants a double major --computer science and art. 

She is taking 8 courses this year becuz of art.  I feel she is hurting herself  not to exercise as I see the tears and sadness as the weight comes on and it breaks my heart.  She has gone to weight loss camp for five years--but gains it back without exercise.  What would you do?  Are you experiencing junior year jitters?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
emmyandmadi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I'm sorry i've not been in that situation maybe she just needs a break and redirection.  Prehaps just playing tennis at the ymca (do you have one) will help or walking. 

mamad122
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I haven't been in this situation either but I can see how she would need a break. It's great that she has the drive and direction in life but you definitely don't want her to get over stressed and burn out on school her Jr year in HS! As for the exercise, is there a local gym the two of you could join together? Make it a fun time?

Pregnancy Ticker 

in love    toddler girl  expecting baby
 Jeremy & Nicole      Shae        Thane OR Joslin
       7-14-07          7-13-08
          12-21-09

dishingmom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM

You read my mind.  I can't exercise unfortunately as I am disabled.  But I was going to make it a condition she exercise at the gym with her friend--there is one we get free at our complex.

Quoting mamad122:

I haven't been in this situation either but I can see how she would need a break. It's great that she has the drive and direction in life but you definitely don't want her to get over stressed and burn out on school her Jr year in HS! As for the exercise, is there a local gym the two of you could join together? Make it a fun time?

Pita_Dragonfly
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Sometimes  they want  you to  tell them what to  do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)