Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dangers of snacks in class

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM
  • 16 Replies

My child's class schedule includes snack time and each day one student brings a snack for the entire class.  Based on the number of students, this means each student will bring a class snack once every few weeks.  The teacher suggested bite-size fruits and veggies, pretzels, cookies, popcorn, crackers, cheese, and so forth.   

Here's my issue...I'm not crazy about other people providing my child's snacks most of the time.  At the same time, I don't want my child to feel left out or singled out.  Some children are picky (like mine), some have allergies, some have dietary restrictions (due to health, religion, cultural beliefs, etc).  And frankly, some people aren't clean (we've all seen people leave the bathroom without washing their hands).  And I don't want to be liable in the event of an allergic reaction, choking, etc.

I'm not sure why the school continues this practice and I have mentioned this to them.  Any feedback, specifically regarding articles about this topic, would be helpful.  Thank you so much.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaof32007
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM

my sons class there are olny four in his class right now.  they do snack months.  my son has it next month.  All I have to do it bring in five boxes of crackers or gold fish crackers.  Something like that. 

dkaam05
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM

My son is going into second grade.  Since kindergarten he has brought in his OWN snack.  We were never asked to provide for the entire class.  Kindergarten we actually paid for a snack the school provided.  Last year I sent him in with one and this year I will too.  I would just suggest that each child bring their own snack, that way it's something they like. 

Come join my group.  For Sale, For Trade, For Free!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/forsalefortradeforfree

alientaxi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Quoting Heddy2007:

My child's class schedule includes snack time and each day one student brings a snack for the entire class.  Based on the number of students, this means each student will bring a class snack once every few weeks.  The teacher suggested bite-size fruits and veggies, pretzels, cookies, popcorn, crackers, cheese, and so forth.   

Here's my issue...I'm not crazy about other people providing my child's snacks most of the time.  At the same time, I don't want my child to feel left out or singled out.  Some children are picky (like mine), some have allergies, some have dietary restrictions (due to health, religion, cultural beliefs, etc).  And frankly, some people aren't clean (we've all seen people leave the bathroom without washing their hands).  And I don't want to be liable in the event of an allergic reaction, choking, etc.

I'm not sure why the school continues this practice and I have mentioned this to them.  Any feedback, specifically regarding articles about this topic, would be helpful.  Thank you so much.

guess i never thought about it like that.....hmmmmm......in these days of sue happy everyone i think your right......the school should take responsability for providing snacks

LilypieLilypie

Aamy
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM

........ Most schools requite the food to be store bought, and in sealed bags. If you don't want your child to be left out or singled out, you need to let it go. At least your child is GETTING to eat other then lunch in school. If there where allergies concerns, the teacher would send a notice home of what foods can and can NOT be brought into class. And really a chocking hazard ...... you don't think kids cant choke on food while eating lunch ?? I cant stand the fact that you can no longer bring in cup cakes or cookies for a child's Bday, unless they are store bought or not at all because someone has allergies. Schools are WAY more paranoid now then when we used to be in school.

alientaxi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Quoting dkaam05:

My son is going into second grade.  Since kindergarten he has brought in his OWN snack.  We were never asked to provide for the entire class.  Kindergarten we actually paid for a snack the school provided.  Last year I sent him in with one and this year I will too.  I would just suggest that each child bring their own snack, that way it's something they like. 

the school may be trying to take concentration away from the "who has what snack" attitude that kids tend to have... if so than the school needs to provide the snacks...

LilypieLilypie

NikkosMommy820
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I'm very particular on what my kids eat- ....and I would not be okay with this, not at all.

Lakemom22
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM

This is also a concern of mine, anymore, you just dont know who all is out there and what they do to food and things.

Our school has a VERY strick UNOPENED policy. Nothing can be home prepared... i.e.. cookies, sandwhiches, etc.

Anything we bring to the school had to be store bought and unopened, or they will not serve it.

Im there with ya, maybe check to see if that is thier policy, and if its not, then supply your child with his or her own snacks that you can pack for him/her.

Hope this helps.

Elle

Alyssasmommy412
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Well most schools don't let you bring anything homemade, so the items would be prepackaged. Also if there are allergies to any students the nurse should send a note to all the teachers about allergies of children in their class. I think if allergies were a big issue then the parent would tell the teacher. I do think its weird they should provide for the whole class, but I think this is so that children don't want what someone else has. What child will want carrots when the child next to them has Oreos.

Heddy2007
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I appreciate the feedback!  To address some points:

*unfortunately it's the world we live in...people do strange things, people sue over the smallest things (to the mom who commented about children choking on their lunch - the issue is a child choking on a snack brought by another parent and the child's parents suing as a result), and many parents (like me) are particular about what their children eat. 

*children are different and differences are okay.  I've heard that some schools practice shared snacks to avoid disparities but the reality is some children will be left out either because of allergies, restrictions, or dislikes.     

*our school doesn't require store-bought snacks.  They can be homemade.  The only limitation is no juice, brownies, cupcakes, or pudding due to the possible mess and recently cleaned carpets.  lol  Seems their focus is a bit skewed to me. 

*the cleanliness of homes, kitchens, and people - I just can't get over that.  In my career pre-motherhood, I've seen how some people live and the idea of eating anything from some homes is stomach-turning.

I'm really hoping the teacher and/or directors reconsider this practice.  Or at the minimum, revise it to state only store-brought snacks are acceptable.   If not, I'll talk to my shorty about packing her own super cool homemade snacks for school each day and passing on the class snack. 

momof3inTN
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I have to agree that it should be each child bring their own snack. My kids would probably be the most hated one's for the snacks I would send as my husband and I are very careful about food. Store bought and highly processed foods are not found in my house. Everything is homemade and I wouldn't want my child eating the processed stuff from the store. I agree though that as I do not know the sanitary conditions of someone else's home, I wouldn't want my child eating those foods either. Save the trouble and send each child with their own snack. Everyone is different and children have different likes and dislikes and some kids are going to get something that another child would rather have but, that's life. As a child I brought my own snacks to school and that's how it should be now, not this "everyone has to have the same thing" nonsense. Good luck with getting what you feel is best for your child!

Barbie and Ken, Married for 11 years!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)