Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seat question

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

my friend just had her new baby and asked me a question i did not know the answer to. when i try to google it.. i cant find the exact info i want... so where else to turn? lol

she has a forward facing toddler in a convertible seat. her new baby is in an infant carrier. she wants to know the best, or the safest position in the car for the seats.

currently the toddler is by a door, and the infant seat is in the middle.

should the toddler be in the middle with the rear facer on the outside? or is it fine how she has it now?

can you give me links to share with her please.

thank you so much!

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
elopez311
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Safest place is in the middle. So the rear facing infant should be in the middle and the toddler on one of the sides. Thanks for asking! 

Sorry I have no links. Just going by what I've been told. My uncle is a CHP officer (California Highway Patrol)

Andie.
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I've always been told by techs to put the least protected child in the most protected spot.  Because the rear facing child is 5 times safer than the FF one.  I'd put the toddler in the middle. 

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Go with the least protected child in the center which would be the child who is forward facing and then the infant by the door.

LuvMyHannahNZac
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Before suggesting who goes where, I would suggest putting the toddler back RFing. (unless he is over the limits of the seat)

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM

The safest spot is where they fit the best so if she can get good installs either way.. .then the least protected child should be in the center (the toddler) BUT it's also hard to rear face behind the driver or passanger because they have to move the seat so far forward... so it depends on the car too if they have room.

I'd probably just leave it the way it is.

PhotobucketPhotobucketthextended-rear-facing.gif image by murphythecat

lundaylove
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:29 PM

as other moms have said, the child who is least protected, in this case FFing toddler, should be furthest from any point of impact, ie center. The infant will be protected when properly harnessed in the rear facing carseat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)