Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions on childcare situation

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok so, Im married for a second time, had a child with my 1st husband now baby number 2 on the way with 2nd hubby.   Last week my daughter from my first marriage was staying the night with her grandmother after my husband got hurt at work and we had to take him to get cared for.  The next morning my daughter got up and found something on the floor at my moms and stuck it in her mouth, realizing it was a pill, my mom tried to get it out, yet my daughter swallowed it anyway.  Took her to ER and 5 hours later was realeased since the pill hadnt been a harmful one.  Scary enough sitch for a momma.

To make matters worse I get on my email acct and have a rude email from a family members 15 yr old daughter telling me how stupid I am for having 2 kids w 2 dads.  I ignored it.  Got another one telling me Im a big dummy and a bad mom.  Ignored that too.  Got another one about how I need to rethink who watches my child.   This upset me greatly so I called her mother and her mother proceeded to tell me I need to be an adult and not let a 15 yr old get to me, seeing as Im 24 I should be able to handle matters by myself.

I work with children for a living and I would never start an argument or fuel a childs harsh words, so I was completely baffled and hurt that a parent could be so rude and uncaring about a childs behavior.  Was I wrong in trying to talk to her parent?  Or was I wrong in letting her stay with her grandmother?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
2boymama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I would say no and no. Grandma obviously made a mistake and I bet after that experience it never happens again. I'm sure it scared her to death too..no grammy wants to be responsible for hurting their grandkids. On the other topic, I dont think it was bad for you to address the situation with the parents, I think it was bad that they dont monitor who their 15 year old talks to or what she says. Dont let her words get to you..we all thought we knew everything there was to know at 15! She sounds like an apple that may have not come from the very best tree in the first place. I would just let it all roll off me though and maybe avoid unnecassary contact with her or her mother.

truely914
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I agree with the pp.  

Quoting 2boymama:

I would say no and no. Grandma obviously made a mistake and I bet after that experience it never happens again. I'm sure it scared her to death too..no grammy wants to be responsible for hurting their grandkids. On the other topic, I dont think it was bad for you to address the situation with the parents, I think it was bad that they dont monitor who their 15 year old talks to or what she says. Dont let her words get to you..we all thought we knew everything there was to know at 15! She sounds like an apple that may have not come from the very best tree in the first place. I would just let it all roll off me though and maybe avoid unnecassary contact with her or her mother.

Pita_Dragonfly
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Pills  get  dropped   all the time  from different things.

Grandma is  still  a  safe person.

The  15 year old.. block  her  email address. She will only cause you more  touble.

EEFMOM1
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM

That is terrible!  My mom is a nurse and my son actually picked up a sleeping pill off the floor once while we were there.  We saw it before he put it in his mouth so we were lucky, but stuff happens.  Grandparents have not had small children in their homes in years, therefore becoming a little less careful than a parent of a small child would be.

As for the child emailing you, calling her mother is appropriate and by her reaction, I would not be surprised if it ended up being her mother sending you the emails.

Verarose
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I think Grandma responded in the right way.  I'm sure she will be even more careful next time.

The 15 year old has no business to be acting that way.  She has no right to be disrespectful to an adult like that.  Her mom should handle this situation and not blame you for it.  I don't care what her mom may think about you, she should still teach her daughter better manners.

Loved4Sure
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM

the most important thing is that the pill situation was recognized and handled well.

It happens 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)