Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

There is something wrong with one of my twins! Please help!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM
  • 13 Replies

My husband and I had twin girls on this past July 25th. They stayed in the NICU for about 3 weeks and came home about 2 weeks ago. While they were in the NICU I did my best to provide breast milk for them but I didn't always have enough. They were supplemented with Enfamil brand Enfacare Lipil Formula. While they were in the NICU they would spit up a little bit occasionally, just like any other baby.

For the past 3-4 days, the bigger twin, Allison, has been spitting up at least half of everything she eats each time she eats. We burp them both very well when they eat and we hold them upright for a good 15 minutes after they eat so everything stays down. The smaller twin, Elliana, has no problems. Allison was spitting up a lot last night and she projectile vomited twice. One time she threw up  breast milk, they second time was Pedialite. (Her Pediatrician told us to give her a feeding of 60 mLs) We went to the ER this morning and they did X-Rays and she was completely checked over. They couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then, right after we got done at the hospital we went to our Pediatricians office so he could see her. He believes that she may be lactose intolerant so he gave us the Enfamil Gentlease to supplement with instead of the Enfacare.

I know that was a lot of information but I just want to get the best answers possible. I don't know what is wrong with my baby. She doesn't get upset when she spits or throws up until she realizes that her stomach is near empty.

She will be fine until about 2 to 2 1/2 hours after a feeding. Why is she not digesting her food?

Please help me.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alekona
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I dont know what could be the issue but.....

bump

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

I am an Organic feeding, co sleeping, non vaccinating, God loving, supporter of the Military, young, single mamma, and I wouldnt change anything about my life with my one and only little man!!
boy kissing mom

GmansMomy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:32 PM

could be reflux. call your dr.

MOMMY TO

playing soccergirl on a swing

GAVMAN     &       ADDY PIE

OxoSaTiVaoxO
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM

He believes that she may be lactose intolerant so he gave us the Enfamil Gentlease to supplement with instead of the Enfacare.

You answered your own question. Listen to your Pediatrican, they go through a lot of school for a reason. My daughter had the same problem, and it's actually pretty common in new babies. Give her a chance on the lactose free formula before you jump to any conclusions. 

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Same thing happened with our DD.  I had to put ThickIt in her bottles (both BF and formula).  Thickenup also worked.  It's worth a shot and you can then if it's not a lactose thing, you can switch to a less expensive formula (I know the Enfamil Lipease is $25 a can) and add the ThinkIt.  I had to get mine at a Rite Aid or Walgreens.  Sometimes it would be behind the pharmacy counter.  Just ask for it, no prescription needed.  Good luck, keep us updated!

briansmommy7143
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM

My son spit up a lot like this and he had GERD... it is actually a common thing in babies to spit up like that, something to do with a flap in their esophagus that doesn't shut properly, but USUALLY it fixes itself overtime. In my son's case it didn't.. he actually has GERD. It may seem like your baby is spitting up half of her bottle, because I thought the SAME thing with my son, but more than likely it just appears that way. My ped said that if it was half the bottle or "vomit" the baby, myself and the floor would all be covered.... also if it doesn't seem to bother your baby,it's probably not that big of a deal... if it worries you bring it up to your doc, but it's probably nothing mama!

Shabaam_CFC
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM

If your BF, make sure that your not drinking anything dairy or with lactose in it, cuz it can upset your babies tummy too. If your FF, then well I guess they gave you what the baby needs. Like the other mommas said give it time. 

GOOD Luck and BUMP :D

Mom to be Mrs. Carter, to Charles F. Carter :D

Daynaof3
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Quoting OxoSaTiVaoxO:

He believes that she may be lactose intolerant so he gave us the Enfamil Gentlease to supplement with instead of the Enfacare.

You answered your own question. Listen to your Pediatrican, they go through a lot of school for a reason. My daughter had the same problem, and it's actually pretty common in new babies. Give her a chance on the lactose free formula before you jump to any conclusions. 

Actually babies are rarely lactose intolerant, more likely it's a milk protein intolerance. I would give her time on the new formula and possibly try to pump more milk for her. How often are you pumping for your baby? You may also need to remove dairy from your diet if the baby does have an MPI.

aliciap21
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM

are you using slow flow niples on the bottle? I  was using slow flow then started putting cereal in my sons bottle and he had trouble geting anyhting out so I swithched to fast flow and then when he ran out of cereal I forgot to change back to slow flow. and he started spitting up a lot after eating ( and he never used to spit up) then I realized the nipple flow was to fast for him. It could be that if not I dont know .

OxoSaTiVaoxO
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Quoting Daynaof3:

Quoting OxoSaTiVaoxO:

Actually babies are rarely lactose intolerant, more likely it's a milk protein intolerance. I would give her time on the new formula and possibly try to pump more milk for her. How often are you pumping for your baby? You may also need to remove dairy from your diet if the baby does have an MPI.

Sorry, that didn't come out how I meant it. I was trying to say that a lot of babies have issues accepting formula for various reasons.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Well, it is normal for formula fed children to go through things like this.  DonΒ΄t panic.  Just change her formula like her doctor said.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)