Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A check and a jail bird

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

My boyfriend is currently in jail.I don't know when he will be getting out.But his bank is closing his account and they are sending him a check for the balance. Someone told me that if I took the check to the jail and had him sign it, I would be able to cash it or deposit it into my account.Does anyone know if this is true?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Loved4Sure
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM

go to his bank or the bank you want to cash it at and ask for a document that can be filled out by him to allow you to deposit the check and draw from it.

kristinaleann
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I deposit my dhs checks all the time. He signs them and I bring them to the bank. I always use the drive through.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Most banks allow for a 3rd party to cash the check unless otherwise specified on the check.  Are you cashing it or depositing it in a different account?

nikkiJ86
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM

We asked his bank and they said that they don't have a form.They said that he could get a power of attorney.But I don't know how to do that.

Quoting Loved4Sure:

go to his bank or the bank you want to cash it at and ask for a document that can be filled out by him to allow you to deposit the check and draw from it.

nikkiJ86
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Either one.Whichever one that I could do.So all he has to do is sign it? They wouldn't need him there right?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Most banks allow for a 3rd party to cash the check unless otherwise specified on the check.  Are you cashing it or depositing it in a different account?

itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Have him sogn the back of it & then you sign right under his name & deposit into your account. I do this all the tike to my husbands check.

tyfry7496
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM

SOME banks will NOT take 3rd party checks, there is too much liability. I worked at 2 banks, and neither of them took 3rd party checks. Also, the only way you would be able to deposit the check he signs is if both of you are on the account. If that check bounces YOU would be held reliable for ALL charges that incur. You could ask his attorney or the jail if someone can do a power of attorney for financial transactions and the bank should then let you cash or deposit the check. Make sure the power or attorney specify's the you have power or attorney to conduct financial transactions, if the power of attorney is NOT specific the bank will not accept it.  Talk to your bank about what they will and will not accept.

MommySwiggles
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM

if he signs the back of it you can deposit it but it has to be a joint account.  Most banks willnot let you cash it.  I worked for a bank.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)