Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long should you use a rear facing car seat??

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is 9 months old and weighs about 15lbs....

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
reelo
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM

As long as your child fits in the seat, most convertible seats have a height and a weight limit  for RF.  The minimum is one year and 20lbs but overwhelming evidence says longer is safer so go as long as you can.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Until they outgrow the upper limits of a rear facing convertibe seat (either in weight, or when there is less than 1 inch of hard shell above their head)

My son is almost 3, and my daughter is 17 months. They will make it rear facing until AT LEAST age 3, my daughter closer to 4 +

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

mommytwothree
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM

law states until 1yr and 20lbs they should be in a rear facing car seat

Mommy2LPK
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Read the guidlines on YOUR carseat. It's printed right on the side.  

in love toddler boy toddler girl baby girl

MommyBoha
by Christy on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:49 PM

until they reach the weight limit or have less than a in of shell above thier head in a convertible car seat. Some kids can RF to 3-4 years old. I have an almost 4 year old who RF. 

Proud mom of Dylan, 6 years old, EH'd in a Britax Regent and Trinity, 3 years old, ERF'd in a Britax Marathon

Will be a CPST Nov 14,2009

Colleen86
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM

this is funny bcause i just bought a forward facing carseat today!\!! my baby is 20 months

well i bought one becaus of the fact that my sons head is higher than the car seat so it is no longer safe in my eyes.,,,,,now i just gotta figure out how to put it in

mayb ill ask a good looking fireman to help me

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Until they outgrow the rear facing weight or height limit for a convertible car seat.  Or for a minimum do what the AAP recommends which is 2 yrs and 30 lbs.

lundaylove
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Your daughter is the same age as my son. You must keep her rear facing until AT LEAST 1 years old and 20 lbs but it has been proven safer to rear face to the max and the AAP now reccomends rear facing to 2 years old and 30lbs.  If she has outgrown her infant carrier you must buy a rear facing convertible seat. Logan will RF to the max on his seats and his 2.5 yo sisters are still rear facing comfortably =D

proudgrammie07
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 3:52 AM

You are awesome lundaylove! I love the fact that all your babies are RF. My grandson is also 2.5 yrs old and is still RF and will continue until at least 3 yrs old. I really wish they would make this a law. So much safer or the babies and you know, they have no issues with RF. Its the parents sad to say.

Quoting lundaylove:

Your daughter is the same age as my son. You must keep her rear facing until AT LEAST 1 years old and 20 lbs but it has been proven safer to rear face to the max and the AAP now reccomends rear facing to 2 years old and 30lbs.  If she has outgrown her infant carrier you must buy a rear facing convertible seat. Logan will RF to the max on his seats and his 2.5 yo sisters are still rear facing comfortably =D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)