Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who else is bothered by this?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM
  • 91 Replies

Anytime I take my baby to the store, or somewhere that there are stangers around, people ask, "Is your baby a boy or girl?" I thought my baby had pretty much feminine features. I usually have her dressed in all or mostly pink and they still ask. Do they think I would dress my boy in all pink? I don't think so!!!! Today some lady was like, "let me guess, it's a boy right?" UUUMMM NO!! What would make her think she's a boy? This is what she was wearing today. (Hello!! That's a SKIRT!!!)

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2boymama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM

it happens to everyone..every baby.. I wouldnt let it bother me.

Daynaof3
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM

She looks like a very beautiful little girl to me! I have twin girls and a women said the same thing to me, but my girls were bald. They still had pink on though! Some people are just...IDK! lol 

gabesmommy22
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM

lol thats funny.  Though u think she has feminine features most babies just look like they can be a boy or girl in my opinion.  But i mean common, when u dress her in pink and a skirt and someone even questions u lol???  i think its pretty obvious!

haileysmom15
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM

They use to ask that question all the time about my DD it use to piss me off so much to the point where i would say... WOULD YOU DRESS YOUR SON IN A PINK DRESS AND OR CLOTHES?!?!?!?!

I know your pain.... It will get better i promise!!

Mommy2LPK
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM

It's a conversation starter. people are just trying to be nice. i have 3, and i still can't tell the difference with some newborns, especially if they have a blanket around them.

in love toddler boy toddler girl baby girl

Verarose

Babies that young don't have masculine or femine features.  It's easy to mistake what a baby is.  Some people don't look at the clothes a baby is wearing either.  I've had my girls in pink frilly dresses and bows and people have asked if they were boys.  It happens, don't take it personal.

Twizlr

I had the same thing happen to me when my DD was little.  She was even in a pink carseat and dressed completely in pink with a bow on her head.  I almost asked the woman if she was color blind or just plain dumb.   

vmznt
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Yea that happens to my little girl even now still and shes almost two years old. lol Everyone would say what a cutie boy you have even whens she has skirts or dress on. lol I wonder if it was because she has to older bothers but i don't know. I just try not to take it personal and laugh about it later. You have such a cute daughter though.

mommyk5
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM

I've noticed it's usually old people who say that stuff,  I think back in the day they dressed boys in girly looking outfits.  (remember seeing pictures of baby JFK Jr. in a dress!)  Or else they are just stupid.  Don't let it bother you, your little girl is beautiful!  And she does look like a girl!

momof3inTN
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM

It does get better! It used to happen to me all the time with all of my kids. I could dress my boys from head to toe in blue with "Thanks Heavens for Little Boys" stiched on the front and I'd still have people say "Aw! What a sweet little girl!" I think it was because both of my boys had full heads of hair when they were born. But when I finally got my baby girl, born bald, dressed her head to toe in pink and they'd say "Aw, He's so cute!" ARGH! I couldn't win. But it does get better as they get older (sometimes).

My hubby took our boys hiking when they were in their long hair phase and people on the trail kept commenting about the cute "girls." My son, 6 at the time, turned around and told one of them, "I'm a BOY not a girl and that's my BROTHER, we are both BOYS!" Daddy had a talk about being respectful to others but he silently was laughing.

Barbie and Ken, Married for 11 years!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)