Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed on Keeping my Toddlers Room.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:13 PM
  • 15 Replies

Good Evening Fellow Mommies:

I recently moved into an apartment where my 2 year old transitioned into his own bedroom as well as from a crib to a BIG BOY BED! YAY! That all went fine, he is good with his naps and with his bedtime. My one problem is, how do you keep the room organized and tidy. I am constantly cleaning it and he spends the day all over the house with me and the baby so I dont understand how. I go in there when he is on his booster seat eating or when he entertained with a movie or something put the toys away, make his bed, clean up the marker stained walls(already hid the markers By the Way) and mop it up nice and clean, Im all proud of myself! Ahh job well done! Well the minute he runs in there and stays there for a bit, it looks like a hurricane flew by. What tips can you offer me? I feel like I am always cleaning his room and I have a pretty big apartment to keep clean now and of course of a 9 month old baby to take care of so I need some HELP ASAP! I am not a clean freak or anything but do like to keep my apartment up to certain standards of cleanliness. What to do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM

lol. teach him to help you clean it. If he's old enough to understand, start teaching him that when he's done playing with one toy he needs to put it away before getting another out. My son doesn't understand that right now, he's only 23 months, but I do have him help me clean up his toys. and I also have one of those big tote things that I just throw all his toys in. That way it's pretty simple. lol

Katy_Lentz
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Lol! I am THERE! I got a mini tub type thing and plastic cabinet thing from walmart and we play pick up-he can almost do the whole room by himself! He just turned 2 in July btw:) Other than that, toddlers are constantly making messes-UGH-there needs to be a pill or something LOL

Good luck and God Bless

I am a SAHM to 2 adorable little boys-Austin Lee(2) and Elijah Kaid(3mo.)! I am also the wife of an amazing man who works his tush off to provide for us-Curtis Lee! I am a Christian who tries my hardest to not judge! My life is anything but easy and I love it:) I stay positive so I can always be someone that friends can turn to when they need to smile! My Husband is my best friend, my kids are my pride and joys, and my friends can always be counted on!

'Life isn't about waiting on the storm to pass, it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain'

RaynMartinsMom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

lol. teach him to help you clean it. If he's old enough to understand, start teaching him that when he's done playing with one toy he needs to put it away before getting another out. My son doesn't understand that right now, he's only 23 months, but I do have him help me clean up his toys. and I also have one of those big tote things that I just throw all his toys in. That way it's pretty simple. lol

Trust me I try, the one thing he is good at is throwing away the baby's dirty diapers and bringing me new ones but when I try to teach him something else, he will start a new conversation with me and take off running or jumping around, it is impossible to keep him to focus and stay still, I know its the age.

RaynMartinsMom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Quoting Katy_Lentz:

Lol! I am THERE! I got a mini tub type thing and plastic cabinet thing from walmart and we play pick up-he can almost do the whole room by himself! He just turned 2 in July btw:) Other than that, toddlers are constantly making messes-UGH-there needs to be a pill or something LOL

Good luck and God Bless

I have a toy bin, and toy boxes but to him they are all toys and he just empties it out as I am teaching him to put toys away, its hilarious but exhausting. And in just another 19 months my baby will be his age. Someone have a drink???? LOL!

cynturner906
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:24 PM

My nephew Aiden is 2 yrs 5 months and we started with him early. Telling him to pick up the toys and telling him what a big help he was and what a great job he did! It didn't matter if it was one or two toys we still said he did a great job. There is also a song not sure where it came from some show but it goes "Clean up, clean up, everybody do your share." We sing that also lol!

If we didn't do that my little house would be a disaster zone!

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:24 PM

When you figure it out, let me know!  We live in an apartment, as well, and I can tell you for a fact that even the smallest messes are exagerated in small spaces!  My girls share a room and they are 2 1/2 and 1...my oldest is pretty good about picking up toys, but my youngest seems to just follow behind and un-do everything my oldest just did!  It frustrates her AND me, LOL!  *sigh*  Making it fun works well, though.  We make a game of it and my daughter loves it :)  We have different ones we play...for example one such game is where I say "Okay, when mommy opens her eyes, all the blocks will be in their box!  Ready...I'm closing my eyes...*close eyes and listen for block sounds to stop*....Oh, look!  All the blocks are in their box!!!"  She thinks it's a hoot!

Katy_Lentz
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I hear ya! My 2 yr old refuses to pick up the living room and I have a 5 month old-so round 2 here we come!! lol I actually began putting toys away-completely away! The ones that he just threw to throw and never played with are in his closet! lol He doesn't notice and my house stays a tiny bit cleaner!! Dude, I need like 3 drinks after this month! lol

Quoting RaynMartinsMom:

Quoting Katy_Lentz:

Good luck and God Bless

I have a toy bin, and toy boxes but to him they are all toys and he just empties it out as I am teaching him to put toys away, its hilarious but exhausting. And in just another 19 months my baby will be his age. Someone have a drink???? LOL!

I am a SAHM to 2 adorable little boys-Austin Lee(2) and Elijah Kaid(3mo.)! I am also the wife of an amazing man who works his tush off to provide for us-Curtis Lee! I am a Christian who tries my hardest to not judge! My life is anything but easy and I love it:) I stay positive so I can always be someone that friends can turn to when they need to smile! My Husband is my best friend, my kids are my pride and joys, and my friends can always be counted on!

'Life isn't about waiting on the storm to pass, it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain'

AngelicaRenee
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:27 PM

lol. yeah. my son will help me clean if I'm cleaning with him. But I pick up his room at LEAST 2 times a day. and that's the minimum so he doesn't fall and hurt himself on his toys. Have you tried singing a clean up song with him while cleaning?! Just another idea if you haven't already thought of it. lol try making it fun!

Quoting RaynMartinsMom:

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

Trust me I try, the one thing he is good at is throwing away the baby's dirty diapers and bringing me new ones but when I try to teach him something else, he will start a new conversation with me and take off running or jumping around, it is impossible to keep him to focus and stay still, I know its the age.

MaryKayLady123
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Quoting RaynMartinsMom:

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

I had the same problem with my 4year old when she was that age so instead of getting upset we played the hold my hand game, what I would do was hold her hand and we would pick up everything together with the hands that we're together she thought it was a game but now she picks it up all by herself. it just got her use to doing it and I would tell her how good she was for helping mommy clean her room and how happy I was for her doing it. (sometimes she still plays the hold my hand game)

RaynMartinsMom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Quoting Katy_Lentz:

I hear ya! My 2 yr old refuses to pick up the living room and I have a 5 month old-so round 2 here we come!! lol I actually began putting toys away-completely away! The ones that he just threw to throw and never played with are in his closet! lol He doesn't notice and my house stays a tiny bit cleaner!! Dude, I need like 3 drinks after this month! lol

Quoting RaynMartinsMom:

Quoting Katy_Lentz:

Good luck and God Bless

LOL! Well what kind I tell you we are in the same boat! I will pass on the drink recipes as I see what works. Thanks so much for your advice, Its always good to hear from fellow mommies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)