Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What fish oil should I give my kids

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM
  • 18 Replies

My daughters doctor recommended that I start giving them Fish oil. I tried some chewables at walmart but I never really got a clear answer on how many MGs were in them. I can't give them the adult stuff because they are 5 and 6 so they can't swallow those horse pills. The health food store sells Barlean's Omega swirl which taste really good. It is quite expensive though considering that I want it for 2 kids. So I was wondering what you all give your kids as far as fish oil. I would really like to give them some liquid. Has anyone ever used Barlean's Omega Swirl or any fish oil? Do you think it helps with focus and mood disorders. I know it helps with brain development which is reason enough to give it to them but does it seam to help with these other things as well?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenniepepsi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM

may i ask why the doc said to give them fish oil? just curious.

i would say ask the doctor what mg and use the tablets. from what i understand, the liquid is discusting and difficult to get kids to take.

Buggy979
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:52 PM

none!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I wouldn't supplement them at all.

Why not offer things like bread with flax seed, cooking with olive oil or eating fish and avocados?

That way you get your omegas as well as the other benefits of those whole foods.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

fiveallmineblog
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:00 PM

hmmm....this one is tricky.  I also gave my kids the liquid, but it was lemon flavoured and they actually liked it.  $45 a bottle and for five kids it didnt last a week.  Then after researching it further I discovered that fish oil supplements are made by pressing the skins of fish, and they are often laced with toxins from the environment.  Its one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't type things.  I no longer supplement them, but do feed them nuts and avocados, luckily my kids are good eaters.  I have two friends who regularly supplement for attention disorders and swear it makes a difference, so whatever you decide has to be right for you.  Good luck.

Kelly

http://www.fiveallmine.com

Tippidy2006
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM

No idea, but i wish i knew something that helped with that stuff for my 5 year old nephew!

mandamitch
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I know people who just make a hole in the adult gelcaps and squirt out the oil onto their child's food,drink or right in their mouth.

babies
babies
ProudArmyWife85
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM

i used barleans fish oil for my son, actually i think its was cod liver oil.

ProudArmyWife85
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM

oh and i did see a big change in my son!!! he focuses so much better now!! he doesnt take it any more tho.

onefootcutiepie
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM

My kids get it from their diet. We eat fish every other day or so and lots of nuts and avocados, healthy fats.

rkoloms
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Nordic Naturals is the highest quality brand.

We switched to hemp oil; it has the perfect ratio of Omega 3, 6 and 9

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)