Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

without the drama I probably wont get many replies...

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:52 PM
  • 22 Replies

But I will post anyway and hope that I get some answers.  My daughter just turned four; she will start kindergarten next September.  I want to make sure she is ahead of the game for kindergarten so I plan on homeschooling her for this year, but I don't know where to begin.  I don't know anything about homeschooling.  What topics should I teach her and how should I go about teaching them?  I thank you for any advice you give, I am totally lost here.

If today is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square mils of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two square miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil, add twenty-seven hundred tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population by 263,000.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I would find a homeschool website that has materials for you to print and use. There is also homeschooling groups on here that might be able to help.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Also, now many states have academic standards you have to teach that grade. You need to check your states education website and see what the academic standards are for your state. In Arizona the website is Arizona Department of Education.

jcp270
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I would start with basics.  Get her to count as high as you can, know the alphabet, write and spell her name, and letter recognition as well as writing letters.  Just those basics and she will be ahead of most of the kids in kindergarten.  Also beginning reading stages.  Good luck.

DelilahsMom4108
by Jeni on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM

My hubby taught kindergarten, he says.......

start teaching her the alphabet..... try to get her to recognize the letters.

teach her numbers 1-10

how to read and write her own name.

and how to try an sound out words..... like c-c-c-CAT.

if you do these things she will have a great head start on kindergarten. Good Luck :)

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:08 AM

She wants to do Kinder at home and dd would go right into 1st grade. Basically she needs to be ready to begin reading. Word walls (words we know to start), words with the begining letter _ and ending letter_. Rhyming words, word families. My dd's class is starting with stamping on the lined paper from left to right. She is past this, but likes it I guess.

mommato2boys79
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Quoting DelilahsMom4108:

teach her numbers 1-10

if you do these things she will have a great head start on kindergarten. Good Luck :)

but i would also like to add my be have her write her abcs and numbers as well as saying it

Wyndi
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:16 AM

When my kids were in Kindergarten, they had to recognize their ABC's by sight, their numbers (and how they are spelled) by sight (5 and five), they had to know how to spell their name and recognise it on sight (Jane Doe or John Doe) count to 100,and read simple books.

Check with your local school and see what the requirements are for Kindergarten.  

This shows where you are at, not where I live near.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
no-drama-momma
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Wow, that's it?!?  Here, they want the kids to know all of that and even more just to start preschool and it's public school...

Quoting DelilahsMom4108:

My hubby taught kindergarten, he says.......

teach her numbers 1-10

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker
JOIN MY GROUP:  Anything and Everything...EXCEPT disrespect
http://www.cafemom.com/group/anything-and-everything

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Okay, I guess I'm blonde right now and did not read your post right until now. This is like my 3rd time reading it lol. She starts kinder next year. Yes, I see the light.

Left to right concept, sight word cards (focus on 3 words for 2 week period), letter sounds first, then recognition of this is the letter, recognishion of numbers 0-9, count to 20 and then later 100, kinder does 100 days of school and they count out 100 things,  counting, begining addition (picture addition). Office Max has Kinder books and pre K book that are really good.

rkoloms
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 7:53 AM

At my daughter's elementary school, reading and counting to 100 were requirements for admission.

Skills taught in kindergarten include addition, subtraction, telling time, tieing shoes.

Other topics: American History, basic science concepts, introductory Latin

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)