Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Registry for a Birthday Party?!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:55 PM
  • 24 Replies

So, my son has a birthday party to go.. it's for one of my friends.. her son just turned 3, and my son is gonna be 2 in Dec.  Well for his last birthday and also this one, she registered her son for things at Toys R Us.   Is this weird?  I mean, I have never ever seen this before, and I think its kind of stupid, actually.  I think gifts are supposed to be out of kindness, and the want to give one.  Doesnt creating a registry for a birthday kind of make you feel required to bring one?  I don't know.. any one have opinions? Is this like something new or what?  Do I register my son for his 2nd Birthday?

It just seems kind of rude to me, i don't know..

What do you other moms think?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennie1977
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM

I think it seems rude only cause it's not normally done. Wedding and Baby Shower registries are pretty normal and not rude though, so it would make sense to register for stuff your kid really needs/ wants. You could throw some cheap stuff on there too for people who can't afford much. Since it isn't the norm if you do it some people will talk crap about it though I'm sure.

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Yeah, I think that's weird. It's one thing if it was for a wedding or baby shower but not for a birthday.  I will write on the invitations " No Bratz, please"  because we do not allow them in our house.  Generally though when people call  to let us know if they are coming they will ask what my daughter likes so i really don't see why a birthdy aregistry woulf be necessary. 

TylersMommy0808
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Its not weird at all! Toys r us has a birthday club and they suggest that you register.

I think it is actually a good idea. Obviously people are going to bring gifts.. Why not have them get what you want or need?! Rather then something that you dont want, need or even like so you will never use it. You would do a registry for a baby shower or a wedding, right?! Why not a birthday!?

You said that it makes you feel required to bring a gift.. Well you sort of are... Its a party to celebrate someone. You are suppose to bring gifts. I would NEVER show up to something like that without a gift. And i would rather know i am getting something that someone wants or can use...

Dont you usually ask people what their kids want or need anyway? My sons birthday party is on sunday (he is not registered) and everyone ( 50 something people) has been asking me what he needs or what we can use or what i want for him.. And all i can say is toys etc... WHy not register and theres their answer!?

MNLETLE
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:04 AM

I personally wouldn't register my DD or DS. If I were to the list would go to like her Nana and other family members as more of a courtesy of this is what my kid would like...because I know they always struggle to pick something. However, I wouldn't send it out in like birthday invites for a party. Tacky and rude IMO.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:26 AM

personally yes its rude i think i would never do it tacky too

I'm a bible beliving church going christian who spanks vax's cosleeps,NONcio,lets my child watch tv and works hard for my money mommy this is me take it or leave it  

gogetem
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:31 AM

It's not rude.  Otherwise, you would have every relative and kids mommy calling and asking what the wee one wants.... double/tripple the same present.

rkoloms
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I just don't understand the registries at all.I refused to have them when we got married or when we had a baby. I will not beg for gifts...

Robin in Chicago

MommyOnLI
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 8:00 AM

i dont think its rude or tacky.  for my DSs 1st birthday we had over 80 people that attended, so if i had to give a list to each of those 80ppl it would have been beyond ridiculous.

we made a wish list and posted it online and if someone bought something off of it it would show as being purchased.

it still turned out that we got multiples that we COULDNT return bc of NO gift receipt.

so a birthday registery is the way to go.

brittcobb20
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 8:04 AM

i haven't done one for a birthday but i have done one for christmas this year at toys r us.i only did it because my family has me make lists all the time,so i just decided to do it online.i don't see any problem with it personally.the list basically tells you what the child is interested in.

in lovetoddler girltoddler boybaby girl

gypsydancer7
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Its tacky, classless, greedy, and cheap but no its not rude. You have to have a brain to be rude and IMO the mom of the child doesnt. No way in hell I would go to this party and if I did, I would go out of my way to get something NOT on the registry and NOT include a gift reciept

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)