Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Swollen and Red Penis in 3 year old

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

I hope someone can help with this.  This morning my husband was taking off our 3 year old son's pull up (which he only wears at night)  And we noticed that his penis / foreskin area is red and very swollen.   My son also said that his pee pee hurts.   My son has been sick, but hes not on any medication.  He has a slight head cold.   Does anyone have a clue what this could be?  I've never experienced anything like this and I have an older son whos almost 6. 

by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
chairhead28
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM

My son had this a while ago (he's almost 2 1/2). We took him into the pediatricians office and he said it was a yeast infection. He gave us a script for Nystain (I think that's how you spell it) and it cleared right up. It was to the point where he was walking funny and didn't want a diaper on. It just came up over night. His pedi said it's common in kids that have pull ups or wear diapers to bed all night long without a change during the night. If it's bothering him, take him in and see if they can give a script for that. It cleared up in a matter of hours. That stuff is GREAT. Good luck, hope your little boy feels better soon! 

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

NevaehsMommy888
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I know this is going to sound weird, but see if there is a hair wrapped around his "tip". That happened to my brother when he was 5.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Having 4 boys, we have experienced swollen peepees a lot.  It can be lots of things.  It could be a bug bite.  Our kids have gotten a little chigger bite before and their penis filled with fluid to the point it looked like a water balloon.  Look really close at it and make sure there is not a hair wrapped around it anywhere.  It is pretty common that hair will get stuck in their clothing and eventually wrap itself around the penis and sometimes it is hard to see.  He could be rubbing soap into the tip of his penis while he is washing causing irritation.  Worst case scenario, he may have a UTI which is really rare in boys, but possible.  If he has a fever or complains about burning just when he urinates, you may get him checked out for that.

3boyz1princess
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM

He could have slept on his belly and it got irritated in the pull up.  Try giving him a warm bath and put some loose underwear on him and kep eye on it.  That happened to one of my sons once and it was just the way he slept and the diaper irritated it im guessing cus it was better with in a few hours of putting underwear on.  Now this was 3 yrs ago so I may not remember everything I did but I know I did give him a bath and clean t real good then let it air dry for a while.  If does not get better by tomorrow call doctor...good luck 

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

jenniepepsi
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:43 AM

i hope this doestn sound bad, but i wanted to give you this idea too.

if he has started touching himself as little boys tend to do around 2-4, and he has had a cold, he might have simply gotten it dirty and infected due to touchign his nose and boogers, and then touching his penis.

other than that, it most likely is some irritation and will go away. good luck hon.

JSVDP
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM

When my son was around the same age we had a pull up "explode" on him. He woke up and had peed so much that the stuff inside got onto his genitals. It looked horrible, all red a swollen and even his testicals. The doctor told me that as long as he is peeing he is ok, but if its to the point where he cant even pee then its serious.  When you changed him where there those little crystal things on him?
There are some brands that use different stuff in their pull ups and some kids skin is very sensitve to it. I would take him to the doctor though just in case. I hope he feels better!

latinmommy18
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 12:13 PM

non circumcise get that allot i shower my son and kind of gently pull a little bit back and clean it i use allot of creams to prevent diaper rash too.

CafeMom Tickers

Life without a cause is a life without effect!

momii98
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Thank you everyone for the information you have provided to me!!  My husband and I checked to see if there was any hair that was irritating it and we didn't see anything.  My son didn't want us messing with it, since it hurt him.  Its still really red and not as swollen as this morning but still not normal.  If its like that Monday morning I'm going to call the doctor.   He doesn't "touch" it like I know some boys do at this age.  Sometimes in the tub he'll poke at it!!  We gave him a bath after lunch to see if that would help also!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)