Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM
  • 5 Replies

 i know there's already posts about this but i didn't see the answer to my question.  i know child support goes by the father's income and he doesn't work?  i work full time and cannot afford daycare and everything else.  i cannot get WIC or daycare assistance or anything.  i thought about child support b/c i need something but i figure if he has money he'd give it to me to help b/c he loves the baby but he never has money.  he has drug problems, he can't hold a job, he has a criminal record, he has warrants out now b/c of unpaid tickets, he owes everyone and their mom money so what makes me think he'd even pay anything.  if anything he'd just do jail time b/c he can't pay for it and who does that really help/hurt in the long run.  he's a good dad in the sense of taking care of her when i need him to and she loves him to death but i can't rely on him which is why she's in daycare.  i also don't trust her with him always and if i cut him off he can still go into daycare and pick her up unless i have court papers saying he cannot pick her up.  i'm in a pickle....any words of wisdom?  and i know state to state is different but any knowledge is helpful...

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:30 AM

If you don't feel that your daughter is safe in his care....and the man has a drug problem. Then he is NOT a good father. 

I don't care how much he loves your baby, how many toys he buys her, or how happy she is to see him. Being a FATHER is being a good role model. Being a FATHER is financially providing for your family. Being a FATHER means your baby is safer with YOU than anywhere else in the world. 

Go to court and file the papers. He needs to get his poop in a group and that isn't your problem. 

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Unfortunately, they usually only go for the income that gets reported. Some states, not all, will garnish unemployment. If you put an order in place, they will hook his tax returns and he wouldn't be able to buy a house until he was caught up.

As far as the daycare thing, you can tell them he is not allowed to pick her up. Usually they are only allowed to let the child leave with the people you authorize her to leave with. At my daycare, it doesn't matter if her dad goes in, he's not on the list so he wouldn't be able to take her. If they're demanding a court order, go ahead and get one. But you may want to talk to the director/owner of the daycare and explain the problem.

Bottom line, get a CS order in place. You figured he'd help you and he hasn't so get it in writing. You can also get visitation and custody documented as well. That way he wouldn't be able to randomly take her. Good luck.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:34 AM

I hate to sound prejudiced, but key words I read were DRUG PROBLEM and CAN'T TRUST HER WITH HIM ALWAYS.  If you cannot trust him 100% of the time he's with your daughter, get whatever court papers you need to prevent him from picking her up without your knowledge.  If you KNOW he has drug problems, you need to be the one to look him in the eye when he picks her up and determine if you can trust him for the next hour or whatever.  I am not trying to make you feel bad, but you are putting her in danger letting her go with him if you know he has drug issues where you can't trust him.  If you go ahead and sue for child support, or get court papers saying he has to pay child support, maybe him going to jail for a while would help him with the drug problems and he would become an even better parent in the long run (if he could get clean and sober and kick the drug habit for good).

Good luck, lil mama!


by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM

here in indiana, even if you are not working they still put in the minimum wage amount....even if he is not working he would still have to pay you. as far as the drug probs and not holding a job im not sure but they would be able to find out if he had a record and such and if he didnt pay then they would end up puttin him in jail anyways...i think either way hell probably end up in jail from not paying (if you sought child support) or from the warrants.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Is he even on the bc? if not then he shouldn't be allowed to pick up anyways unless you give him the permission to on your paperwork. I would get a court order where he can't pick her up from daycare only from you. In my state on child support even if he didn't have a job he would have to pay i think like $36 a week. If you go with Office of Child Support Enforcement. They will represent you in court in regardin the cs. They will lock his income taxes, file warrants if he falls behind. We had that issue with my daughter's dad and they will suspended any valid licenses he has business, dl, hazmat, anything and then put a warrant and while he is in jail the city will pay you while he is in there until he caught up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)