Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh! (carseat)

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM
  • 9 Replies

Ok first my dd is 5years old 46" 36lbs a very skinny minnie.  My carseat is a 2 way carseat right now she is in the three point harness and after is a booster seat w a back.  The requirements on the three-point harness is 38" 40lbs..  Right now she is still in the three point harness because i felt that the weight requirement was a little more important then the height.  I don't know if i want to switch it to the seat belt and make it a booster.  I want to because I know that sooner or later the harness might start to bother her because of her height, but on the other hand winter is coming.  ugh

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dosthepost
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:51 AM

ALWAYS follow ALL requirements your seat has. INCLUDING height. Now, if you want a higher harness height, you will have to buy a new seat... otherwise you're using your child as a crash test dummy.

LaurenMarie2307
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Wow, this made me realize how big my daughter is! Shes 4 years old (just turned) and shes 38 inches and 42lbs! LOL   Shes in a booster seat and loves it   I think the height is more important than the weight bc the booster/carseat is to get the seat belt to be worn correctly...Just a thought

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:12 AM

I didn't even know they made 3 point harnesses... how old is her seat?

Either way, she can't be in that seat anymore... both height and weight are important and you need to use the seat as directed. I assume the straps are way below her shoulders which is VERY dangerous for forward facing... if you were in an accident she could suffer serious spinal injury.

If you don't think she is mature enough yet to sit in a booster then you need to get her a new seat.  Something like the Graco Nautilus would allow you to harness her until she is 65 lbs and 52 inches and then can use it as a high back booster and later a no back booster after that.

erika_wright
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Quoting AmiJanell:

I didn't even know they made 3 point harnesses... how old is her seat?

Either way, she can't be in that seat anymore... both height and weight are important and you need to use the seat as directed. I assume the straps are way below her shoulders which is VERY dangerous for forward facing... if you were in an accident she could suffer serious spinal injury.

If you don't think she is mature enough yet to sit in a booster then you need to get her a new seat.  Something like the Graco Nautilus would allow you to harness her until she is 65 lbs and 52 inches and then can use it as a high back booster and later a no back booster after that.

i just bought this seat for dd and i love it. my sister had recomended it to me. my niece is tall and skinny, like you dd, and grew to tall for hwe other seats. the nautilus is one of the tallest convertibles iv found.

you really should follow all the recomendations, or you are putting your child at risk.

Mommy to Elliot Marylyn (born 12/18/07), and Wife to Jerry Blaine (married 5/19/07), TTC baby #2! And SOOO happy with my LIFE!

Rubygl00m
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:51 AM

She has outgrown that seat. If you are wanting to keep her harnessed you can buy a seat that harnesses to 65lbs. My 6y/o is harnessed in a Graco Nautilus. She has lots of room left.

justplainbecky
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Height can be controversial, and its mostly a suggestion. Acar seat is outgrown forward facing when one of 3 things happens, the child goes over the weight limit, the ears become level with hte seat back, or the shoulders go over the top harness slot. So if she has reached one of these, then she has outgrown the seat.

The height is a suggestion because youcan take two kids who are 40" tall, and one can have a super tall torso and outgrow a seat fast, theo hter can have long legs and still have growing room in a car seat, kwim? Kids are build differently. My 7yr old can still ride in the Britax Marathon even though he's 52" tall because he's all legs.

Anyway, if her shoulders are over taht top harness slot, you need to move her out of that seat or into a booster or higher harness weight seat. When the harness goes below the shoulders when forward facing, it sets your child up for spinal compression in a crash, and that is very very dangerous and can be deadly, or at the very least paralize her.

hurleydoll18
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM

The weight requirement is set in stone but the height requirement is more or less just a guideline.  The seat is outgrown forward facing in only 3 ways: 1) when the child meets the max weight limit OR 2) when the child's shoulders come ABOVE the top harness slot OR 3) when the top of the child's ears become level with the top of the car seat shell.  If any of these 3 things has happened already, she has outgrown the harness and needs to either be in a new harnessed seat or be moved to the booster ASAP.  If she is a mature 5 yr old and can sit in a booster properly the entire car ride, she might be ok in a high back booster but I would feel more comfortable with her being in a harness since she is not yet 40lbs.  I would look into the Graco Nautilus to keep her harnessed a bit longer until she grows and gains more weight.  It will keep her harnessed until she is truely ready for a booster and it will be the last seat she'll need.  I've heard that they are on sale at Walmart.com for $144

austinsm0mmy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM

ugh thats a tough one. can you afford a new seat?

the height on a harness is very important.  a FF child with the harness coming from below her shoulders is at risk of spinal compresion which can lead to paralysis or worst.

As long as the harness is ABOVE her shoulders she is ok to still use it in harness mode.

If its below you will need to switch it.

if you can afford a new seat the Graco Nautilus is a great seat it will keep her harnessed to 65lbs then turns into a high and a low back booster. they run around $150.

If you can't afford that much i would consider a graco turbo booster with a high back to offer her some side impact protection and head support. you can get them from walmart for around $50. 

usually we don't like to see a child under 40lb in a booster but given her age and height if thats all your budget can afford it is certainly a better option than a harness she has outgrown.

Child Passanger Safety Technician - Saving lives one car seat at a time!

NicoleL15019
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM

i would suggest going to your local police department. many of times someone there is trained in this stuff, and they would be able to give you a more adequate answer. If it was me, I would say I wouldnt have the harness too tight because if you were in an accident the pressure could cause more damage. does that make sense?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)