Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DD Burnt in Campfire

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi Ladies,

So went camping this weekend for Labor Day and it was our fourth trip to the campground this year. Yesterday around 4pm or so we had the fire going and my parents were making dinner. My DD will be two next Monday, she had something in her hands and wasn't paying attention. She walked right into the fire ring and tripped over it. Thankfully there were not any large flames, her left hand landed on a log in the fire and she burnt her arm, belly and side on the fire ring. There were three of us (my Hubby, mom and myself) sitting right there and it was one of those times where you just can't move fast enough. There was not hospital in the town we were in so we drove to the medical center which was closed but thankfully the ambulance was in that building and there were 2 EMTs there. We took an ambulance to the closest hospital. My poor baby girl was crying and screaming in pain the whole time and there was nothing I could do. It was awful. Once we got to the hospital they gave her a shot of Demoral and Fennigran (sp?) to calm her down, took about a half hour to kick in. The doctor came in and looked her over, her left hand was so red and swollen and has blisters on every finger and palm. The other burns look like bad scrapes and are swollen. Her whole left hand it wrapped in a whole role of gauze and she keeps trying to use it and can't, it's so sad. All 2nd degree burns.

I feel like a bad mom and I keep saying to myself and my hubby if only I could have moved a little quicker? I keep putting all the blame on myself even though I know that it was an accident. I also keep telling myself that it could have been so much worse. What if we had a whole fire going with 2 foot high flames? I still feel awful and I wish that it could have been me that was hurt. To hear your baby cry when she is sick is one thing but to hear them crying in pain is the worst thing to go through. I would have given anything to make her feel better. Today she is fine, getting used to one hand to play and eat with, she is up playing and running around. Like nothing happened at all. We go back to see her doctor tomorrow to have the bandages changed and the burns looked at. I hope everything goes well. Just wanted to share and it helped to write everything down and get it off my chest. Yesterday was officially the worst day of my life. I am so thankful that my baby girl is okay.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I'm so sorry that your family had to go through that. That is absolutely so scary. I'm glad it wasn't a worse situation....your baby girl will be in my prayers.

by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Oh poor little thing. Hopefully she heals up quickly and doesn't need and grafts.

This is actually a very common injury in children... so don't beat yourself up about it. It happens more often the day after the fire when patents aren't paying attention and are packing up or whatever... but the ash is still fire hot and the toddler falls in and burns their hands and arms really bad.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Oh mama I'm so sorry...Poor baby girl.  I'm sure everything will be just fine.

You just need to remember that it wasn't your fault, please stop beating yourself up about it.  And yes, it could've been so much worse.  Just remember that your little girl is okay. 

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:03 PM

It's always easy to blame yourself in these situations but you have to keep telling yourself that it was an accident and it could have been so much worse! I'm so glad shes ok and don't take it out on yourself, it'll make her feel worse too because she does know when mommy isn't happy or is sad and it will make her feel the same way. There's a lot of "if I coulda been there faster" or if I'd have been right beside them but honey you can't always be RIGHT there! I'm sorry this happened to your daughter and you but if she's up and happy right now just be thankful it wasn't worse. Big hugs to your little one!

by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Oh my gosh , the poor thing.  I know that had to be horrible for you as well.  I was in your shoes last summer when my daughter cut  her shin on a hand saw.   We have a house in North Carolina and there was work being done on it so there were tools in the living room.    The house is shaped kind of like a U and my daughter and i were in the back bedroom when i sent her to clean up her game in the kitchen.  She had to pass through the living room to get there.  I should have heard her scream or something but i had not idea until she came in bleeding and crying.   She had apparently gone to the kitchen after being hurt was afraid to tell my husband who was on the back porch so she came back to me.   The hand saw blade was facing down in the tool box so i am still not a hundred percent sure how it happened but that was by far the scariest day of my life.  It was so deep you could see the bone, she ended with 5 staples in her leg.   I felt like the worst parent in the world.  I did the same thing you are doing now with the " I should haves and What ifs"  

I hope she heals fast.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM

1st I want to say I am SO sorry that happened to your baby AND you!! & Thank God it wasn't worse!!

2nd DON'T beat yourself up over it, things like that happen, we're human not SUPER human & some things unfortunately are out of our control & I'm sure if polled the biggest % of mom's have had accidents with their kids while they were right there  .... I know in my 22 yrs of being a Mom I've had a few things happen to my kids with me right there & not being able to do anything about it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)