Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? about checking account W/ POLL

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Spend it

Wait longer to see if it still says the same thing.

Other (because there is always an other.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

I have a checking account and for the last couple of months it has been saying I had about 200.00 dollars more than I thought. I have not used the account in a couple of weeks and it has said the same thing everyday when I check it online. I could really use the money but don't want to overdraw. So what would you do?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candyimage16
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I would look way back and make sure that one check actually came through, or make sure you paid that one bill that you thought you paid. And if all is well, just think you made a mistake on your end and shorted yourself the money...Have fun, just not all the money's worth of fun.

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I would go over all your bank statements and I would call the bank and have them go over it with you and make sure it is your money. Bank make mistakes all the time and if they put the money into your account or made some error you would be responsible for it. If all clears then yeah use it. 

MY2KIDS131
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM

sound like it is the bank mistake,  they  probabbly accidently put someone elses money in your account,  it happened to me several times.  i would not spend it  if you know for sure you did not put that in there then i would call the bank get it cleared.

Those Crazy Women!: 

jillbailey26
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Do you keep track of a check regestry?  I would go back as far as you could.  Go back to when it matched and look at every item from then until now.  You'll find it.

2kidsandamom08
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I have done this and can't find anything that seems out of place. I talked to the bank and they could not find anything either. I balance my check book everyday so i don't forget anything.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Do you keep track of a check regestry?  I would go back as far as you could.  Go back to when it matched and look at every item from then until now.  You'll find it.

djdouglas60
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM

You need to go to your bank and have them look into it. The money could have come from an outside source which is out to scam you and this should not be ignored. It could be the beginning of identity theft.

3earthangels
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Do you have overdraft protection from your bank? I know with ours the bank will cover up to $300 if we don't have enough money in the bank. But a big problem with that is that $300 shows on our account balance online and with ATM receipts (not on our paper statements). So we always have $300 more than what's actually in our account. It confused me for a while b/c I always thought we had extra $$ but we really didn't. Twice I thought the balance shown online was our actual balance and overdrew... The bank covered it but still charged us the $22 overdraft fee.

If that's not the case, go back through your checkbook and see if sometning hasn't gone through or if there was a mistaken deposit. You can even go to your bank and they will help you figure it out.

The US Immigration Support Group - We know it's hard. We'll give you a shoulder to cry on, friends to laugh with, and a helping hand.

itsallabtthem84
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I would go to the bank & talk to them.  I had something a little similar happen but it was not $200. It ended up being the school takes forever to cash checks.

3boyz1princess
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Make sure all your checks have cleared for the right amount.  I wrote a check one time for $2000 to pay my discover card and discover put it through as $20 dollars and I could not figure where the extra money came from until my discover statemnt came and I still had a balance and I knew I had not spent that much that month and then I went to the bank and we realized what happened.  So check before you spend it if you on't want problems.

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

mommyofa147
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:33 PM

i would call and talk to the bank. and see if you can get a print out of that month

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)