Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time feeding! ( need to know what to do)

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM
  • 23 Replies

I need some help. The doc told me at first not to feed my daughter till she was 6 months old. Put then at her four month app. She said that I can start feed ing her rice ceral now she will be 5 months in two days on Wedsay Sept 9th.

When did you start feeding your kids?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StaceysMom4706
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM

dd was 6 months old... but since then, i learned that the "magic number" is when they double their birth weight.

Alexandria 

LeanneC

Dean will be 6 months on the 16th and we haven't started yet.  Maybe another month or two.

My first was nearly 8 months when he started.

We skip rice cereal, it's just garbage filler, IMO.  Many other tasty foods to start with!

mamagoose718

I started feeding my children rice cereal when they were between 5 and 6 months.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I started my kids on solids at 6-8 months.

Humans kill an estimated 100 million sharks each year. Sign this petition to establish a global ban on shark finning. Click Here.

jasey929
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM

My pedi told me I could start at 4 months with just a few teaspoons 2 times a day.

karischub
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM

We tried rice cereal mixed with breastmilk when my dd was around 6 months old. She thought it was funny and it was a more out than in kind of feeding. We put a tablespoon of rice cereal in a bowl and then poured milk over it until it was really thin. Then we set her in a bouncer and tried to feed it to her. Good luck. Oh, and we took pictures...

LeanneC

Quoting StaceysMom4706:

dd was 6 months old... but since then, i learned that the "magic number" is when they double their birth weight.

If that were true my new baby would have started solids at 2 months!!!  I don't think so...

dawnjohnson5

We started single grain cereal at 4 months.

MamaToHaileyBug
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I started when the milk was not enough for her and had already changed the nipple size from slow to medium. About 4 months old, but every child is different.

Lilypie
Proud Mom Of 1 Blinkie
I Married My College Sweetheart Blinkie
I Love my Baby Girl Blinkie
June Babe Blinkie
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I agree. We started our kids at 6 months (or shortly after) and we started with avocado. They have never had the cereals.

They recommend 6 months because that is when their guts seal (longer for a formula fed baby) and it can lead to allergies and issues later in life.

Quoting LeanneC:

Dean will be 6 months on the 16th and we haven't started yet.  Maybe another month or two.

My first was nearly 8 months when he started.

We skip rice cereal, it's just garbage filler, IMO.  Many other tasty foods to start with!

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)