Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas gift ideas...

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM
  • 191 Replies

So, what are some unique gift ideas for children ages 8, 10 and 12?  8 and 10 are boys, the one who will be 12 at Xmas is a girl.

Running low on ideas and with all the moms out here, there are bound to be some unique thoughts and ideas....maybe some I have not thought of yet.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natalies_mama
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM

do you have them make christmas lists?  that's what my mom made my sister and i do when we were that age..  

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I have ased them to in the past, but honestly, they never ask for much.  Last year my daughter told me "What you and Santa do is always amazing, whatever I get will be great."  They are toughies.  We had our children to NOrth Pole, NY this summer and my son sat on Santa's lap and when asked what he wanted, he said "nothing much".  LOL

Quoting natalies_mama:

do you have them make christmas lists?  that's what my mom made my sister and i do when we were that age..  

cutefinn
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Gift certificates for outings.  Museum gift certificates, Movies, or make your own and have it be a special day where you and your kids take them to a favorite place for lunch then bowling or something like that.

MamaToHaileyBug
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM

This is what I am doing for with my kids (I am a teacher) for Christmas presents for the parents:

*Take a cup of applesauce and a cup of cinnamon

*Mix together in a small round plastic dish (I think they come in a pack of 10 for 2 dollars at wal-mart)

*Do either a handprint or footprint depending on the age

*Let sit and dry for a couple days (If you want, you can put a hole in the top with string for an ornament, just make the sizing smaller)

I did this last year and not only did it make my entire room smell like Christmas, the parents just loved it!! And it will save forever. :)

Lilypie
Proud Mom Of 1 Blinkie
I Married My College Sweetheart Blinkie
I Love my Baby Girl Blinkie
June Babe Blinkie
YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM

This never really works for me.  First, because I do not really like the idea of gift certificates for  a big holiday like Christmas or Easter.  I like them to have immediate satisfaction on those days.  Second, because we do outtings on a regular basis so it would not seem like much of a gift.  They would be going anyway....

Quoting cutefinn:

Gift certificates for outings.  Museum gift certificates, Movies, or make your own and have it be a special day where you and your kids take them to a favorite place for lunch then bowling or something like that.

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:50 PM

We've done the cinnamon ornaments many times:)  LOve that smell.  But I am thinking of gifts FOR the kids...not from them...

Quoting MamaToHaileyBug:

This is what I am doing for with my kids (I am a teacher) for Christmas presents for the parents:

*Take a cup of applesauce and a cup of cinnamon

*Mix together in a small round plastic dish (I think they come in a pack of 10 for 2 dollars at wal-mart)

*Do either a handprint or footprint depending on the age

*Let sit and dry for a couple days (If you want, you can put a hole in the top with string for an ornament, just make the sizing smaller)

I did this last year and not only did it make my entire room smell like Christmas, the parents just loved it!! And it will save forever. :)

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM

for the 12 yr old maybe a nice pair of gold earrings??? is her ears periced?

karischub
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Is there an activity your kids always want to do? When my brother was 8 my stepdad signed himself and my brother up for a father-son hockey league. They bought him equipment and all of his fees and such. He's eighteen this year and is one of the best goalies in his league. He and my stepdad still play in a Friday night league together.

mrsJLA
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Well, I know you said your daughter is really into ballet, and even though she probably has a strict dress code, does she ever get to wear the non-standard black leotard/pink tights for other classes?

http://www.discountdance.com/index.php

I know it says "discount" but they have every quality brand of dancewear and all in one place. I used to swear by them when I was dancing back in my HS years.

mrsJLA
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:04 PM

And this is cool. Even though its not "instant" gratification.

http://www.cloud9living.com/experience-gifts/new-york/the-illuminati-hunt

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)