Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Daughter-in-Law going loopy.

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter-in-law is a swell gal with a terrific personality....(here comes the 'but') but it appears after three unplanned pregnancies resulting in three beautiful kids aged, 6, 4, 2, she is showing signs of manic depression and/or attention deficit and/or depression. Or ALL OF THE ABOVE.

It appears that she is starting to crack up...literally.  She argues & bitches constantly at my son, and I mean constantly.  She talks endlessley to anyone and everyone; she called long distance to talk to my husband and I over fifteen times last month and that's just on the cell phones.  There were more calls on the land line.   K. ignores the children until they do something to annoy her (it may not have been anything particularly awful, but it annoyed her ) then she smacks them HARD on the hiney or back of thighs and sends them screaming to their rooms.  She hangs constantly on the phone or Internet, forgetting to eat, or drink water and wasting precious time necessary to run a household.  She loses car keys, phone, purses, forgets everything and leaves possessions everywhere she's ever visited.  She flys from completely apathetic about her real duties with her kids & home and suddenly starts talking about starting a cake decorating business, a cleaning business, a taxi service...gawd the list of her 'GREAT IDEAS' are endless and beyond her skill levels and the new ones keep flowing.  (I know one would  suspect she's on speed or meth or something, but she's not. She's against drugs)

I am really worried about her and for the health and happiness of the family she and my son have together. I am especially concerned for the safety of my grandchildren because K. is 'out to lunch' so much, even when she is in the same room with them.  My son, E.,  loves her madly and is patient beyond compare, but with his job and helping her around the house and with the kids as she goes to school at nights....he is starting to melt down too. 

I am so worried about them and my innocent grand kids.  ANY SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE?  I have urgently suggested that she get to a psychiatrist for testing, but their health insurance doesn't cover any mental health and K & E refuse to pay out of pocket.  Here's another helpful piece of information:  After the birth of their last child, the 2 yr. old boy, she showed up with painful ovarian cysts and one burst on her.  Her periods are irregular and short.  Her doctors have done nothing to treat that condition - they say there is nothing that can be done.  HELP CAFE MOMS OUT THERE.  HELP ME BRAINSTORM FOR SOME HELP FOR THIS YOUNG MOTHER.  frown mini

1-2caf, Arizona

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
cmb121906
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM

She sounds depressed really bad. No quality of life. For about a $100 she can go to a regular family Doctor and describe her symptoms and they should be able to put her on some anti depressant meds.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

tyfry7496
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM

It sounds like she could be Bipolar. She needs help, patience and understanding, not her MIL talking about her behind her back. Talk to your son about getting her help, NOW. If she is Bipolar she needs treatment to help her stabilize. It cannot be stabilized by natural methods. She needs meds and counseling. She could also be depressed. Get her to a doctor.

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM

http://www.sam-e.com/

http://www.naturemade.com/ProductDatabase/prd_prod.asp?tab=Products&productid=158

Some over-the-counter supplements that help with moods/mental well-being. Be careful with the St. John's though if she is on other medications.

Honestly, she sounds exhausted. Maybe needs a week vacation somewhere and then when she comes back...She'll be ready to take on her domestic responsibilities again. Have you offered to babysit for a weekend. I know you don't think she's doing much now, but maybe that's because stress can really take its toll on a body.

The Lord bless you and keep you! The Lord let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you! The Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace! (Numbers 6:24-26)

JocelynAaliyah
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:16 PM

It sounds to me like she needs an outside life. She needs more adult interaction. A break from the kids. Encourage her to join a book club or even something like Curves. Maybe she should try to start a game night with her friends. Just one night a week to get some interaction outside of being a mom. See how that affects her. And if that doesn't help then she needs to pursue professional help. And if they refuse to pay out of pocket and you are so concerned, why not offer to help pay for it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)